Complaints???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
True

Stan,

You realize if they made pieces available, they would sell fewer kits.

That's true, but maybe they'd be like the auto industry and charge enough for the pieces that it won't affect the bottom line...I have checked my supplier and buying bulk pieces seems to add up to a lot more than a kit even when buying fairly large quantities.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

1. The selection of platings for fountain pen kits is far too limited. I've only found one kit that comes in something other than 24K gold. Fountain pen users are accustomed to spending a bit more for their writing instruments, so the cost of better platings should not be a problem. Why are fountain pen users forced to accept platings that are known to have a limited life expectancy?

2. Fountain pen kits that aren't supplied with a pump/converter. Every kit that I've bought came with only a cartridge. The cost of a pump/converter isn't that much more than the cost of a single cartridge, and offering a pump makes the pen infinitely more appealing.

3. Excessively ornate higher-end kits. For me, understated elegance is more appealing than bling. I might be willing to pay more for a higher-end kit if I thought that the incremental cost translated into incremental value, but I'm not going to pay for unwanted, tacky ornamentation.

4. The difficulty in obtaining parts for kits. I'm relatively new at the penturning game, but already I have a box of left over parts either that weren't needed to build a particular pen, or that were salvageable from a pen that didn't meet my quality standards. There are a couple of dealers who offer parts - why doesn't every dealer do that? And there are some parts that I still haven't found a source for - like those little plastic caps that are supplied with snap-cap fountain and roller ball kits that become the part of the pen that holds the cap onto the body.

5. Kits that cannot be disassembled. There seem to be two factors that prevent disassembly. Slimline kits are supposedly the easiest to take apart, but some of the lower end kits use transmissions that will break apart when you try to remove them from the body of the pen using the split-block approach. And some cigar pens don't appear to have been designed with disassembly in mind.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Lack of parts

1. The selection of platings for fountain pen kits is far too limited. I've only found one kit that comes in something other than 24K gold. Fountain pen users are accustomed to spending a bit more for their writing instruments, so the cost of better platings should not be a problem. Why are fountain pen users forced to accept platings that are known to have a limited life expectancy?

2. Fountain pen kits that aren't supplied with a pump/converter. Every kit that I've bought came with only a cartridge. The cost of a pump/converter isn't that much more than the cost of a single cartridge, and offering a pump makes the pen infinitely more appealing.

3. Excessively ornate higher-end kits. For me, understated elegance is more appealing than bling. I might be willing to pay more for a higher-end kit if I thought that the incremental cost translated into incremental value, but I'm not going to pay for unwanted, tacky ornamentation.

4. The difficulty in obtaining parts for kits. I'm relatively new at the penturning game, but already I have a box of left over parts either that weren't needed to build a particular pen, or that were salvageable from a pen that didn't meet my quality standards. There are a couple of dealers who offer parts - why doesn't every dealer do that? And there are some parts that I still haven't found a source for - like those little plastic caps that are supplied with snap-cap fountain and roller ball kits that become the part of the pen that holds the cap onto the body.

5. Kits that cannot be disassembled. There seem to be two factors that prevent disassembly. Slimline kits are supposedly the easiest to take apart, but some of the lower end kits use transmissions that will break apart when you try to remove them from the body of the pen using the split-block approach. And some cigar pens don't appear to have been designed with disassembly in mind.
I can only speak from my own experience and the quick answer is there are too many parts. There are 4 non-interchangeable (with kits having a different finish) parts in a slimline kit and at least 21 finishes in just the Fancy style slimines. That would be 80 part numbers a dealer would have to stock just to cover slimlines. That translates to cost.

jttheclockman

I can only speak from my own experience and the quick answer is there are too many parts. There are 4 non-interchangeable (with kits having a different finish) parts in a slimline kit and at least 21 finishes in just the Fancy style slimines. That would be 80 part numbers a dealer would have to stock just to cover slimlines. That translates to cost.

That to me is such a lame exceuse I am tired of hearing it Smitty. When the manufactorers make the pen kits the parts are available. Not all parts are needed to be kept as replacement. If these manufatorers stop making so many duplicate kits this problem would not exist. Make the parts more durable. Make the parts more interchangable if they are going to make so many. Look at your slimline line how many kits are there based on the slimline??? Way too many. They all look alike when said and done. Change a ring here and there and they all look alike. Really tired of reading that excuse.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nearly all the slimline parts are available from Woodnwhimsies. Why duplicate the same effort? They sell them for a reasonable cost. And they are GREAT people.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

That to me is such a lame exceuse I am tired of hearing it Smitty. When the manufactorers make the pen kits the parts are available. Not all parts are needed to be kept as replacement. If these manufatorers stop making so many duplicate kits this problem would not exist. Make the parts more durable. Make the parts more interchangable if they are going to make so many. Look at your slimline line how many kits are there based on the slimline??? Way too many. They all look alike when said and done. Change a ring here and there and they all look alike. Really tired of reading that excuse.

A lot -- but why? Because there is a market for them. Makers change the centerband and sell the kits for more money. The trouble is you can't get the variety of kits we have to choose from without having something different.

Finishes parts are usually not interchangeable...if there are 20 different finishes you need 20 different nibs, 20 different centerbands, 20 different caps and 20 different clips....change to a different model slimline and you might be able to use the nib an cap but you'd still need a different clip and center band for each finiish. You can also cover some other kits like trimlines and comforts with nibs and caps and clips...but still need different centerbands for each finish. Now that is all with kits that are the same basic pen....and (for me) over 100 different part numbers if I wanted to carry spare parts for everything. Cheaper and easier for me to send an occasional replacement kit if someone gets a missing or bad part.

randyrls

Improve the quality of the bushings! Too many of the bushings I get are out of spec in one way or another. I started making my own to avoid having to buy inferior bushings.

steeler fan1

The first 3 items on this list would be at the top of my wish list. Better plating on FP for certain. Less bling on the high end FP kits. I'd prefer that my blank and creative turning provide the POP, not the hardware!

Carl

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What plating would you like??

Fountain "kits" are offered in 10kt gold, gold color titanium, rhodium and black titanium. What other color would you like???

steeler fan1

Fountain "kits" are offered in 10kt gold, gold color titanium, rhodium and black titanium. What other color would you like???

Ed,

True but not on all kits. Maybe I'm asking to much but if I'm paying $35-50 or more for a kit I want to have more input to the kit. Perhaps its more certain vendors only offer limited plating. I can understand this from an inventory point. But from a consumer point its a pain jumping from one vendor to another to another to find the kit/finish I'm looking for.
Perhaps this should be directed more to the manufacturer than the vendor.

Being just a hobbiest I have no real buying clout so I'll just have to deal with what's available. Was not my intent to start anything, just adding my thoughts to the question posed by the OP.

Carl

Andrew Arndts

I have only one request. That either the kits are Made in the USA or Canada. Perhaps the unique ones like the FP's are done in an European Country.
Also the Tubes could be made to actual specifications. Now I might be wrong in doing this but I put my tubes on my mandrel to sand them before gluing them in. If I have to wrestle a tube on to the mandrel more often than not then Something is wrong.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Ed,

True but not on all kits. Maybe I'm asking to much but if I'm paying $35-50 or more for a kit I want to have more input to the kit. Perhaps its more certain vendors only offer limited plating. I can understand this from an inventory point. But from a consumer point its a pain jumping from one vendor to another to another to find the kit/finish I'm looking for.

Being just a hobbiest I have no real buying clout so I'll just have to deal with what's available. Was not my intent to start anything, just adding my thoughts to the question posed by the OP.

Carl

HEY, Carl!!!

I don't take offense at much of ANYTHING--RELAX!!!!

The problem is there are not, yet, enough penmakers turning "better" pen kits. This is the reason for the demise of the Emperor-Jr. Emperor series. Offered in only two platings each, fountain and rollerball--sounds like no big deal, right???

Yet that means EIGHT versions!!! At 500 each, a total of FOUR THOUSAND pen kits. Which took too long to sell!!

I think you will see growth in the $15 (your cost) arena. The Jr. Gent --Jr. Statesman have enjoyed a relative monopoly---look for more interest in that area.

As for the very high end pens--I'll be surprised if they don't "fade, fade, fade away". The better penmaking "guys" are trying kitless--that kills the high end market. If their kitless sells--that will be the direction the "kits" will follow.

We'll see--but with China and Dayacom both currently unpredictable, don't look for a lot of innovation from the manufacturers. They are just "dog paddling" waiting for the water to get calm, again.

(MUCH of this is MY opinion----NOT a fact---I COULD be wrong of course that IS unlikely):biggrin::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Me Too

I have only one request. That either the kits are Made in the USA or Canada. Perhaps the unique ones like the FP's are done in an European Country.
Also the Tubes could be made to actual specifications. Now I might be wrong in doing this but I put my tubes on my mandrel to sand them before gluing them in. If I have to wrestle a tube on to the mandrel more often than not then Something is wrong.

I think we'd all like to see something like that. I also think it is highly unlikely that we will. My understanding is that in China and Taiwan making pen kits is a cottage industry with many small low cost producers.
That isn't the usual way we manufacture in the USA and Canada.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I sort of agree

Ed,

Carl

HEY, Carl!!!

I don't take offense at much of ANYTHING--RELAX!!!!

The problem is there are not, yet, enough penmakers turning "better" pen kits. This is the reason for the demise of the Emperor-Jr. Emperor series. Offered in only two platings each, fountain and rollerball--sounds like no big deal, right???

Yet that means EIGHT versions!!! At 500 each, a total of FOUR THOUSAND pen kits. Which took too long to sell!!

I think you will see growth in the $15 (your cost) arena. The Jr. Gent --Jr. Statesman have enjoyed a relative monopoly---look for more interest in that area.

As for the very high end pens--I'll be surprised if they don't "fade, fade, fade away". The better penmaking "guys" are trying kitless--that kills the high end market. If their kitless sells--that will be the direction the "kits" will follow.

We'll see--but with China and Dayacom both currently unpredictable, don't look for a lot of innovation from the manufacturers. They are just "dog paddling" waiting for the water to get calm, again.

(MUCH of this is MY opinion----NOT a fact---I COULD be wrong of course that IS unlikely):biggrin::biggrin:

I kind of agree with Ed on the high end stuff. Hi end kits are very costly to try to handle and there are just too many of them. It is probably squeezing even the big sellers. I think Small sellers are going to have to pick and choose and not try to serve the whole market spectrum.

And, on the other hand as Ed noted the high end pen makers seem to be moving away from kits, at least here...don't know about Europe and Asia.

From their posts here I think some of the high end turners must be modifying kits or mixing parts from different kits - of course they'll need to find some sort of kits to continue to do that. I think most of them won't want to machine their own nibs, clips, caps etc. although some of them are capable of turning most of those parts.

dow

I guess my only major issue is that nobody has managed to make a fountain pen the size of the euro or ft, but with the quality of a jr gent, ie plated metal male threads, and nylon female inserts, decent looking clip, and most importantly a standard nib in a 2 piece metal section and housing.

I'd like to see this as well.

Top Bottom