Comparing the Flames

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
OK, this is NOT an advert for Lane:wink:, ( though I really appreciate the opportunity in trying them ) just my two for comparison and my honest observations . :biggrin:

I really like them both, but my favourite is still the Olivewood flames in the middle.( the Jr Retro ) I find that the join lines in the other one catch my eye. However, that could be because I don't know enough about glues and wood to hide them. :confused:

Assembly was pretty straight forward with the exception of one piece that took a bit of getting in. ( But rather tight than loose )

As I don't have three hands, I prepped several small bits of masking tape before starting the assembly. I fitted 3 adjacent pieces at a time and held them in situ with the tape. When it was fully assembled I wrapped more tape around it to keep things tight.

I then removed and replaced the tube a few times to decide which direction to push the CA'd tube in from. I didn't want the tube to catch on an edge of one of the bits.:eek:

With the tube glued in, I then removed the tape and sanded over the fine lines to fill any small gaps and then simply drizzled some CA over them.

My only concern was that the finial end of the Jr Gent was fairly close to final size. If I turned the blank the other way around, then perhaps it may have been a bit too close to finished size.

You can decide which flavour you prefer.

Many thanks again Lane and I hope this post isn't detrimental to your sales:wink::biggrin:

Attachments

• LFV21.jpg
    LFV21.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 399
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lane223

Well you don't need to choose.....

Skiprat, as his name suggests, took the leftover pieces and made another pen! Most of the time I include these pieces with the order (if I have all the pieces) . If you look close at the upper pen, you can see the glue lines. In my mind, they are scrap pieces, but I included them so you can experiment. How about someone casting, something like worthless manufactured wood?

There are two versions available: Rat Flames as seen above with the double olive wood flames, and Lane's Flames with olive wood flames on the upper cap, and wenge flames on the bottom.

workinforwood

If I had to choose, I choose the one on the bottom. I would rather though just have the flames on the cap. My mind is lost as to how flames can burn up and down at the same time. But..that's just me!

Daniel

I like the olive flames as well. the wood lends itself to more of a flame look. at least in the photo. I also tend toward the flames on both barrels is pushing overkill. sort of like to much of a good thing. Very nice pens though.

bgibb42

If I had to choose, I choose the one on the bottom. I would rather though just have the flames on the cap. My mind is lost as to how flames can burn up and down at the same time. But..that's just me!

I like the one on the bottom as well. And look at it this way--leave the cap standing straight up on your desk and the flames are burning up. At the same time, the pen is in your hand...with the flames also burning up (at least while your writing with it). :cool:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
.....or you could just use half of the blank kit on two pens. You would just need an Olivewood or Wenge blank:wink:

lane223

Well you could assemble it the correct way....

I'm with you, the flames should be pointed in the same direction. But the customer is always right (up until you get his money).

My favorite is wenge flame on the body, olive wood on the cap. Most people like it the way Skiprat did it though.

lane223

We can do single flames. I'm at the laser cutters now, do you want one? And on another completely different subject, he needs a pen mill. Do you have any left?

I like the olive flames as well. the wood lends itself to more of a flame look. at least in the photo. I also tend toward the flames on both barrels is pushing overkill. sort of like to much of a good thing. Very nice pens though.

Top Bottom