Commissioned baby rattles..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hendu3270

Hendu3270

A co-worker of my wife as two new grand-babies and she wanted two baby rattles to give her daughters as keepsakes. The one with pink rings is turned from Ambrosia Maple and the blue is from Black Cherry.

Attachments

• Rattles(Denise).JPG
    Rattles(Denise).JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

Chris- They are beautiful and a fine piece of work to be proud of. But as somebody who got started 5 years ago as a toy maker, I STRONGLY encourage you to become thoroughly familiar with the CPSIA and the laws surrounding anything for children age 12 or younger. Simply saying they are only for decoration would not keep you safe from the scope of this law and the CPSC.

I stopped making toys because of the mandatory testing requirements under this law (not because my toys were unsafe, I just couldn't afford the required testing to prove it).

You my want to look into the Handmade Toy Alliance. I was a founding Board member when it first was started back in 2008, they are a 501c6 tradegroup and are in close contact with the CPSC. They can direct you to the latest updates regarding minimum width, lead content testing, use and abuse testing, etc... Additionally, baby rattles have even more guidelines that must be met not only because they are often chewed on, but also because of the tiny "things" inside that may be swallowed should it break open when baby smashes it on a tile floor while Mom or Dad aren't right there to pick up the pieces. The fact that these have washers in them worries me (as a parent) and should worry you (at a minimum as the business owner).

Sorry to be the downer in your thread. All my best.

Last edited:

Fishinbo

Those are very lovely baby rattles. Like the shapes, choice of woods and the colored rings are great accents. I'm sure the babies as well as the mommy like them. Great work!

Hendu3270

Chris- They are beautiful and a fine piece of work to be proud of. But as somebody who got started 5 years ago as a toy maker, I STRONGLY encourage you to become thoroughly familiar with the CPSIA and the laws surrounding anything for children age 12 or younger. Simply saying they are only for decoration would not keep you safe from the scope of this law and the CPSC.

I stopped making toys because of the mandatory testing requirements under this law (not because my toys were unsafe, I just couldn't afford the required testing to prove it).

You my want to look into the Handmade Toy Alliance. I was a founding Board member when it first was started back in 2008, they are a 501c6 tradegroup and are in close contact with the CPSC. They can direct you to the latest updates regarding minimum width, lead content testing, use and abuse testing, etc... Additionally, baby rattles have even more guidelines that must be met not only because they are often chewed on, but also because of the tiny "things" inside that may be swallowed should it break open when baby smashes it on a tile floor while Mom or Dad aren't right there to pick up the pieces. The fact that these have washers in them worries me (as a parent) and should worry you (at a minimum as the business owner).

Sorry to be the downer in your thread. All my best.

No need to apologize John. I looked into the minimum size requirement for baby rattles BEFORE I made any of these for sale, and I'm above that. I did make two of these rattles (one wooden and one colored resin - unfinished), and then commenced to dropping them on the concrete floor of my shop. They didn't break, so I dropped them from a little higher. They still didn't break, so I started throwing them at the floor. I had no way of measuring the "velocity" of the point of failure, but the wooden one broke first and the resin one broke a few tosses later. Both broke in the main body of the rattle and the glued seam remained sound. I realize this is not a very scientific testing method, but hey, I'm a wood turner, not a research scientist.

The fact that these have washers in them is no different than if they had small dried beans in them. Both would be choking hazards if you dumped a handful of either of them in the hand of an infant. I realize I wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court, but the people I've sold these to have all been friends that have assured me they plan to take a few pictures of baby with the rattle and put the rattle away in a "memories" box. Again, if the unthinkable happened, this wouldn't amount to much I'm sure. I could just as easily turn a captive ring style rattle and have the wooden ring crack and separate and see a safety issue as well.

I have been working on a different rattle setup that if the glue failed, the rattle would still be contained within the body.

JohnGreco

Chris- I'm glad to see you tried you best to ensure these are safe. I just wanted you to be aware that in the eyes of the law they are not (not until you have certified destructive tests performed on 12 copies of each (each material change requires a new set of tests)). The destructive tests go far beyond impact and include torsion, tension, and many others.

Again, they really are beautiful though. I'm sure the parents will be quite pleased :)

Top Bottom