Commando blank turning. No tools = no catches (sorry)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

I know this will upset the turning purists in the group but I've adopted a technique that has resulted in no catches since I started doing this. I use a....wait for it...... angle grinder with a 3" 80 grit disc or flap disc on it to turn down the bulk of the blank. There is nothing more frustrating than making a segmented, acrylic, or whatever blank and having it explode at some point during the turning process. I feel like I'm cheating on my wife by not using my turning tools but I have not had a single catch or exploded blank since I started doing this. Then I switch to successive grits on a hard block to get it close to the bushing or measurement, then my "normal" (my normal, since everybody has their own) system.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

A few doughty souls have given that technique a go, myself included.
Has had a bit of coverage here in the past.

Dale Parrott

I've blown up a few of my segmented blanks. I usually feel like it's a sign that I need to refine my skills in gluing and turning. I also believe that you should do what ever works for you and makes your hobby fun. Thanks for sharing and no criticisms here!

Darios

Ahhh! OK, so, I'm not a complete hack!! :cool:
I don't go all the way down. I use it to take the corners off and round it out leaving a few mils or so left. Then on to the carbides.
But the idea is the same. At the very least doing this with the belt sander seems to extend out those times I need to sharpen or replace blades, so there is that.

sorcerertd

I have also seen this suggested here before, and did try it. I've never seen anything make that big of a mess so fast! I'd say that you need a rather powerful dust collection system for this.

Top Bottom