Colourful Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

Here is a Rollerball I made for my Wife.
12mm cap threads, 135mm long capped, 125mm long uncapped, 14mm diameter, homemade stainless steel clip.
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work. I've given up making dedicated pens for Nancy, as EVERY pen is up for grabs for her. But... for every pen she snatches, it's just a reason that I have to spend 4 more hrs in the dungeon.

John Eldeen

Brad outstanding job on the color match from the body to the cap and on the pen as a whole. As I was admiring the pictures I noticed you sleeved the nib with something. If you don't mind what did you use there.

Ironwood

Brad outstanding job on the color match from the body to the cap and on the pen as a whole. As I was admiring the pictures I noticed you sleeved the nib with something. If you don't mind what did you use there.
Hi John, this was actually a mistake I had to fix. I was drilling out the hole with a 2.6mm drill bit, which is a good size, but the swarf balled up in the flutes on the bit, things went pear shaped and the hole ended up oversize.
I turned that brass sleeve on my metal lathe from a spare kit nib, it already had a hole that was the right size, I turned it down to 3.5mm and parted off about 5mm long and epoxied into my nib. It's a good mod that I may also use on future pens.

RangeRat

Fantastic looking pen! I like everything about it....color, shape, clip...but the nib sleeve really adds a nice aesthetic and professional appeal. It's something the average pen user would probably overlook, but it just clicks with me for some reason.

John Eldeen

Hi John, this was actually a mistake I had to fix. I was drilling out the hole with a 2.6mm drill bit, which is a good size, but the swarf balled up in the flutes on the bit, things went pear shaped and the hole ended up oversize.
I turned that brass sleeve on my metal lathe from a spare kit nib, it already had a hole that was the right size, I turned it down to 3.5mm and parted off about 5mm long and epoxied into my nib. It's a good mod that I may also use on future pens.
That looks to my like one of those happy little mistakes. I like the look and a little reinforcement there can't be a bad thing.

magpens

Wonderfully exciting pen, Brad !!! . Congratulations !!!

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the blanks ?

Last edited:

Ironwood

Wonderfully exciting pen, Brad !!! . Congratulations !!!

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the blanks ?
Thanks Mal.
I got the blanks from Gary Pye (GPW) http://www.garypye.com/pen-accessories/acrylic-blanks-c38/
I got some of the yellow/green/blue ones as well, may end up as another similar rollerball.
They are advertised as 16x16mm, but some are only 15mm on one side. This takes some careful cutting and turning to get the maximum out of them. Luckily they are cheap.

Ironwood

Fantastic looking pen! I like everything about it....color, shape, clip...but the nib sleeve really adds a nice aesthetic and professional appeal. It's something the average pen user would probably overlook, but it just clicks with me for some reason.
Thanks RR. I agree most would never notice it, it's more noticeable in the photo than just looking at the pen. But it's definitely an improvement over a plain drilling in the resin.

Ironwood

Beautiful work. I've given up making dedicated pens for Nancy, as EVERY pen is up for grabs for her. But... for every pen she snatches, it's just a reason that I have to spend 4 more hrs in the dungeon.
Cheers Mark. Yes, my Wife also has a large collection of my pens, only beaten by one guy who has bought well over 50 of my pens. I don't know what he does with them all 🤪

Ironwood

that is a beautiful pen.

I assume you tapped the threads for the cap yourself? Also, how do you change the refill when it runs out of ink?
Thanks.
Yes, I started with 2 resin blanks, so all work has to be done by the maker , including all threads. The section unscrews from the pen body to change the refill.

Top Bottom