Coloured Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

Isn't nature amazing? To think that this maple burr grew out of the ground in these amazing vivid colours. It's almost unbelievable.

I rarely have groups of pens in my possession at the same time so I took a family shot as I thought they looked pretty cool together.

I've paired them with matching acrylics (and cellulose acetate for the blue one), which is also used to fully line the caps and barrels. Sterling silver finishes the pens which are fitted with both Bock (red) and Jowo no6 nibs.

13mm triple lead cap threads are used for each.

(They are all dyed and stabilised).

Cheers
Ash

88BC7890-EAD9-4FAB-B1AC-6255B315C614.jpeg42436DF0-77E4-4E44-81A1-C7D8AC5F9839.jpeg346DEB22-5520-49E6-8694-2DCFD6BE5D52.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Nice family photo of that group. I like the way the acrylic colors match the burls and the way the Sterling accents the difference in material.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Excellent color matching! Beautiful work!

Isn't nature amazing? To think that this maple burr grew out of the ground in these amazing vivid colours.
😁 About 18-20 years ago I found a website from Colorado in which a rancher/farmer experimented with different colored dyes and pouring the dyes into the ground around aspen trees. Aspen wood normally is quite white. Over a period of time, the wood turned the color of the dye, and the wood was quite red, or green or blue etc - as shown in the pictures. Not sure if it was a scam or not, but the web site closed after a year or two. I was very fascinated with the wood and would loved to have purchased some. I was living in Japan at the time. By the time I was back home for a time, (USA) the website was down and I did not have any contact reference.

Woodchipper

I turned a blank of light maple from an old cutting board. I colored it with a black Sharpie with several coats to fix the color. Found that only one was needed. Turned out decent. I'll see if I can find a photo. Found it and looks blue in the photo. Different colors of Sharpies could be worth trying.

Attachments

• 20180926_144717.jpg
    20180926_144717.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 79
Top Bottom