Colors mixing-bubbles in cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

OK, so I have made a real attempt at casting and had so so success. I think it came out OK, but I am having issues with the colors. I really wanted to have separate colors, but they seem to mix into a different color. I am using blue and orange and it comes up mostly green. I think maybe I am putting them in the mold too soon, and I need to let them sit and get more solid first, but I am not sure how to know when that is. I looked in the library, and well, I don't know much more than I did when I started.

I am also having issues with the bubbles internally. I used a Tupperware type container that was basically the size for 4 blanks and it worked really well. But when I sliced them into blanks there are LOTS of voids from the bubbles.

I am hoping to resolve the bubble issue on Monday as I located a used Binks paint pot on Craigslist that I hope to purchase and convert for casting. I cannot tell the exact condition, but the person said they were using it until recently when he retired from the painting business. Anything I should specifically be looking for? The pics clearly show the clamps as operational and the hoses, gauges etc still attached.

Hopefully I will get it for the $40 price he is asking.

I actually posted a picture of the finished pen in the show off your pen section with a LONG description of my troubles. LOL

any advice for a REAL casting newbie would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Brooks803

From the sound of this post and your SOYP post I'm assuming you're using PR.

If you want to use plastic cups make sure the recycle code is #1 or #5. Everything else will melt. I use Dixie paper cups so there's nothing to worry about.

For better color separation, yes you need to wait to pour. When I do casting demos I give the description of letting it get to the consistency of Karo Syrup. That does get hairy bc if you wait to much longer it'll be jello and a bottle stopper blank. With waiting that long you'll risk big bubbles so the pressure pot will really help. Once you have it post a pic and we'll try and give better advice on any conversions.

Also, with using a flat mold you'll want to use something (a dental pick or wire) to really swirl the resin. Try not to mix while doing this. That'll give nice thick separate colors. Gravity is your enemy so if you pour while it's not thick enough you'll have major separation of colors bc one will always sink.

Hope that helps a little!

wyone

thanks so much..yes I am using PR. this is exactly the information I am needing. So much to learn, but also really fun to see the result of the knowledge. I can do Karo syrup consistancy. I am still having issues with the number of drops of catylist to use, so I guess I better get out a scale. But then I wonder, which chart to use as it says different numbers for different thicknesses, and none of them are really what I am doing.

This is the pen I made from the blank, and I have three more I cut out of the same casting. I dont mind the colors and look, but it certainly was not what I was shooting for.

Looking forward to creating some awesome blanks and awesome pens from my creations

Attachments

• Resin 2 edited.jpg
    Resin 2 edited.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 149
Top Bottom