colored pencil drawing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

My wife is a kayak instructor and after taking a white water class she drew this scene on a 2x4 label with colored pencils. I stuck the label on a sierra tube, coated the drawing with thin CA then cast with polyester resin. The picture shows the result.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• 20150131_175405_resized.jpg
    20150131_175405_resized.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 504
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Cool idea ! I assume you need to very carefully trim the 2x4 label to match the circumference (and length) of the pen tube.

How do you deal with the join where the two ends of the label meet ? Or overlap ? Do you somehow make the join/overlap a feature of the artwork ?

Last edited:

its_virgil

Mai,
I figure out the size the artwork needs to be for the tube I'm using (smaller than the 2x4 label) and placed the artwork on the label using photoshop. Except, for this one my wife actually drew on the label. I had a black line "frame" around the useable area and she drew inside that. You can see the black line framing the artwork. When doing other lavels I create the artwork and then place the frame around the artwork. I use the black frame to help hide the overlap of the label. I do not try to make a butt joint. After the artwork is created and printed on the label I use a straight edge and cut out the "picture" with an exact knife. The I use a sharpie to paint the cut edge black so when it overlaps the seam is somewhat hidden. I do hope this makes sense.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Cool idea ! I assume you need to very carefully trim the 2x4 label to match the circumference (and length) of the pen tube.

How do you deal with the join where the two ends of the label meet ? Or overlap ? Do you somehow make the join/overlap a feature of the artwork ?

Attachments

• Photo Booth Library.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 136
  • figure 51.jpg
    figure 51.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 134

its_virgil

Mai,
I figure out the size the artwork needs to be for the tube I'm using (smaller than the 2x4 label) and placed the artwork on the label using photoshop. Except, for this one my wife actually drew on the label. I had a black line "frame" around the useable area and she drew inside that. You can see the black line framing the artwork. When doing other lavels I create the artwork and then place the frame around the artwork. I use the black frame to help hide the overlap of the label. I do not try to make a butt joint. After the artwork is created and printed on the label I use a straight edge and cut out the "picture" with an exact knife. The I use a sharpie to paint the cut edge black so when it overlaps the seam is somewhat hidden. I do hope this makes sense. Black backgrounds or borders are my friend.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom