Colored ca?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ray-CA

If my project develops a crack or void, I've been dripping ca into it. But, I had a thought while doing so this morning. If I put some powdered dye into the crack/void before putting the ca in, will it effect the glue?

Thanks

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I haven't experimented with CA but I have with epoxy glue. It didn't seem to effect the glue but here's what I did see. I had trouble getting the color to match. I have some time to play with it because of the slower set of epoxy but I'm not sure how it would react with CA. I'm thinking if it's wood use dust from sanding. If it's an acrylic blank and a small void I'm thinking clear CA would blend in. Good Luck with which path you take.

greenacres2

Craft Supplies (and likely others) carries a variety of powders/dust. I've used copper, aluminum, turquoise, malachite. I turn until close-ish to finish diameter, use a cuticle tool to press/mound the powder on the crack, apply super thin CA. The CA carries the powder to the bottom of the void. Sometimes the finished turn shows the filling 1/2" away from where it was applied. Saves great wood and adds a nice touch.
earl

goldendj

Thanks. I've done the sanding dust trick but was thinking about adding a bit of color into the blank repair.
I've used powdered turquoise followed by CA to fill cracks and repair chipped-off chunks on a blank. Pen is now my favorite; goes everywhere in my pocket with keys and pocketknife holding up fine.

Top Bottom