Collision of Hobbies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

I have been playing guitar and bass for 33 years. Over the years my collection has grown, and so has my interest in working on my own instruments.
I am now a self taught luthier. I do fret work, setups, wiring, etc. I purchased a project bass a few years back. It sat until recently when I cleaned it up and upgraded almost everything.
Now it is a decent player, but I always liked the idea of a thumb rest. They are not easy to find though. I went out to the shop, found a half pen blank and preceded to make this guy.
Shaped on a belt sander and finished with 12000mm and plastix polish. Comments and Critiques welcome.

Attachments

• 5BFD28CB-9D04-4B3D-AA6B-6F6DD9AAEF6F.jpeg
    5BFD28CB-9D04-4B3D-AA6B-6F6DD9AAEF6F.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 0C940638-DC88-4FA7-9CB3-9EAFAD0E14AF.jpeg
    0C940638-DC88-4FA7-9CB3-9EAFAD0E14AF.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ccccchunt

Haha. I like this. Seems everyone these days just buys a 5 string bass and rests their thumb on the low end!!!

Just got done pouring a custom pick guard and back electronics cover for my son. He wanted a metallic red swirl so I'm giving it a shot!

hewunch

Haha. I like this. Seems everyone these days just buys a 5 string bass and rests their thumb on the low end!!!

Just got done pouring a custom pick guard and back electronics cover for my son. He wanted a metallic red swirl so I'm giving it a shot!
I would love to see that!

hewunch

Good idea. I was just about to pick up my D28.
I am drooling. I have a modern Martin. That thing is a cannon for sure. I got a new truss rod wrench for Martins and I adjusted it yesterday. I also lowered the saddle and put fresh strings on it. Good for a few thousand miles.

TonyL

I had many acoustic and electrics at one time. Now I just have the D28 and a Les Paul Standard. I play the Martin almost every day.
I used to buy only D'Adarrio strings (sometimes Martins). My luthier turned me on to these and I love them (for the D28).

Curt Mangan Strings

hewunch

I had many acoustic and electrics at one time. Now I just have the D28 and a Les Paul Standard. I play the Martin almost every day.
I used to buy only D'Adarrio strings (sometimes Martins). My luthier turned me on to these and I love them (for the D28).

Curt Mangan Strings
Nice! Which set do you use?

TonyL

Nice! Which set do you use?
Hello Hans. I didn't have any left, so I called my luthier who turned me on to them. Curt Mangan Bronze Medium Lights. They require a little more strength toward the nut, but worth it in volume and sound. That is all I use now.

Top Bottom