collet set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Hello friends!
Can anyone point me to a collet set or just the collet holder that would fit in the MT2? I probably don't need a whole set but I guess untill I buy 3 or 4 sizes I may as well. I want to be able to use it on both ends of the lathe so just a 1x8 setup won't do.
Also, does anyone here use a collet chuck to hold a drill bit for drilling on the lathe?

TIA

Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

There was another thread on this subject a few days ago in which one poster mentioned Banggood as a source of both collets and collet holders. Their web site does list an MT-2 collet holder.

The two major suppliers of collet chucks appear to be PSI and Beall, and both have good reputations. Their chucks have a female thread that matches the headstock spindle, so they won't work on the tailstock without some kind of adaptor.

Dale Allen

Yea dogcatcher, like that.
If the inserts at $10 each or more I may as well get a set.
Lots of them on the 'zon' but most have no reviews.
Need to do more research on this.

dogcatcher

I bought an ER40 collet chuck, it handles larger sizes of collets, I think it goes to 1" instead of the 3/4 that the ER32 goes to. But the cost was more, both in collets and the chuck, I also can use them on my metal lathe, so I justified the cost.

Dieseldoc

I bought an ER40 collet chuck, it handles larger sizes of collets, I think it goes to 1" instead of the 3/4 that the ER32 goes to. But the cost was more, both in collets and the chuck, I also can use them on my metal lathe, so I justified the cost.

Problem with the er40 you cn't find a MT 2 collet holder as far as I been able to find one.

If some one know where you can find a MT2 collett holder for ER40 let me know.

charlie

dogcatcher

Problem with the er40 you cn't find a MT 2 collet holder as far as I been able to find one.

charlie
I bought mine about 12 years ago on eBay, but found none on there today. I did find this one.
ER40 MT2 COLLET CHUCK #B17 | CTC Tools

But I have never dealt with this company.

Dieseldoc

charlie
I bought mine about 12 years ago on eBay, but found none on there today. I did find this one.

Thanks for the info, will check them out and place order for collet holder and get collets from little machine shop.

Dieseldoc

charlie

Thanks for the info, will check them out and place order for collet holder and get collets from little machine shop.

Dogcatcher:

Checked out CTC tools, very bad reviews. However found that CNC machine tool ebay dealer #28287 has MT2-ER40 holders and with great reviews, ship from USA.

Placed order.

randyrls

I searched and found one on ebay. Search for: er40 chuck MT2

But you are correct, this isn't a standard size. Most of the ER40 chucks are meant for milling machine use and have an R8 attachment.

Hope this helps....

charlie

Dale Allen

Well, I decided to try some morse taper collets.
I really only have 2 sizes needed at this time so a $30 investment in 2 seems prudent as a start.
I also am making a retaining nut for the headstock thread so I can try that instead of a drawbar. Should have them tuesday.

JimB

There was another thread on this subject a few days ago in which one poster mentioned Banggood as a source of both collets and collet holders. Their web site does list an MT-2 collet holder.

The two major suppliers of collet chucks appear to be PSI and Beall, and both have good reputations. Their chucks have a female thread that matches the headstock spindle, so they won't work on the tailstock without some kind of adaptor.

CSUSA also sells their own collet in the style that screws onto the headstock.

randyrls

Well, I decided to try some morse taper collets.
I really only have 2 sizes needed at this time so a $30 investment in 2 seems prudent as a start.
I also am making a retaining nut for the headstock thread so I can try that instead of a drawbar. Should have them tuesday.

Dale; one caveat, morse tape collets will only work on the SPECIFIC SIZE of the collet. They do not have a range like the ER collets.
A 3/8" MT collet will clamp a 3/8" shaft, but not a 5/16" shaft. You must be within a few thousands of the size.

Last edited:

Dale Allen

Randy, that is interesting. I did a good bit of research on this and some say as you stated that the collet is made for that size. But then others say it can be close to that size but typically not larger, only slightly smaller.
So, which is it? If it is a 1/2" collet then a round bar measuring .490" will not work? Seems to me it has to be able to be inserted in the thing so the jaws would need to be slightly larger and will compress with the drawbar.
I also realize that the size it is made for will give the most contact pressure and anything slightly smaller will only contact at 3 points, the centers of the tang curves. That's exactly how a 3 jaw chuck works.

I think the limitation is with regard to the size of the slots. At some point the 3 jaws will contact each other and the ID will no longer get smaller. The ER32 for example has 8 tangs on some sizes which would likely allow more variance.
What I am doing is holding a drill rod for a centering alignment. There will be no pressure on the collet. It will simply be spun briefly.
Since I could not find any references to how small a particular collet will go, I will find out next week.

Dale Allen

OK, this type does not have much range of holding. :redface: I can use a 12.5mm bit in the 1/2" but none of my other tools will fit in the 7/16 and 1/2" sizes.
So, on to the ER32 types.
A question for those who may know.
Is the ER32 collet type standard to the point where any ER32 collet holder can be used on any ER32 collet?
I found a place that has metric ER32 collets but they do not show a 2MT holder.

More4dan

Here you go Dale:

https://usa-m.banggood.com/ER32-MT2...lling-Toolholder-p-997701.html?rmmds=wishlist

https://usa-m.banggood.com/19pcs-ER...ling-Lathe-Tool-p-1032144.html?rmmds=myorders

ER32 Chucks and Collets should be all made to the same dimensions and be interchangeable.

I ordered my collets and chuck from bang good. The collets have arrived but still waiting on the chuck. Quality looks good. I'll know better when on the lathe and I can measure runout.

The ER32 collets are suppose to clamp down from marked size to minus 1mm. The Metric set should clamp anything from 2-20mm.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Dale Allen

I ordered 3 collets from Maritool that should work for my sizes.
Since they don't have an MT2 collet chuck for ER32, I ordered one from Banggood.
It's been 2 days and they are still 'processing' the order.
Maybe I should have ordered from somewhere else.

More4dan

I ordered 3 collets from Maritool that should work for my sizes.
Since they don't have an MT2 collet chuck for ER32, I ordered one from Banggood.
It's been 2 days and they are still 'processing' the order.
Maybe I should have ordered from somewhere else.

I received my collets in a week and the collet chuck in 2 weeks from Bang Good. The quality looks quite good. I'll check run out as soon as I can find some time to set it up on my metal lathe.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom