Collet Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I don't know the best place to buy it, but Beall is the best because it uses ER-32 collets which can be had up to 3/4". The Axminster is well made but only goes to 1/2" because it uses ER-20 collets.

Randy_

If you are planning to use the collet chuck to hold a pen mandrel and have a "B" mandrel from Berea, you will need to purchase a 5/16" collet as that particular size is "NOT" included with either the Beall or the PSI kits.

And a little tip for you. Some folks have trouble with the collet chucks jamming on the spindle and being difficult to remove. You can reduce this problem significantly by making a little washer to slip over the nose of the spindle that will sit between the shoulder on the spindle and the back surface of the collet. I cut mine out of the top of a margerine tub or a Cool-Whip container.

Last edited:

PaulDoug

I have the Beall and love it. The only one I don't recomment is the one sold by Woodcraft. I have it also and the best thing it did for me was convience to go ahead and get the Beall. I have heard good things about the one PSI sales. Didn't fit my lathe.

Sylvanite

I am happy with the Beall chuck and collets from 800Watt (eBay). As best I can tell, the biggest difference between it and the PSI chuck is that the Beall comes with wrenches to tighten whereas the PSI has a knurled surface and tightens by hand.

Hand tightening would be convenient, but there are times I need the extra torque wrenches provide to snug down tight.

Regards,
Eric

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I am happy with the Beall chuck and collets from 800Watt (eBay). As best I can tell, the biggest difference between it and the PSI chuck is that the Beall comes with wrenches to tighten whereas the PSI has a knurled surface and tightens by hand.

Hand tightening would be convenient, but there are times I need the extra torque wrenches provide to snug down tight.

Regards,
Eric

Actually the PSI does have wenches for when you need that extra torque. Though most of the time I find hand tightening it is enough.

Top Bottom