Collaboration w/Mark James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mrs. Charlie_W

Almost a year ago I contacted Mark James about a segmened inlay pen and finial he made that spoke to me. I wanted to commission Mark to make a pen for the president of the quilt guild I belong to. When I took the job of VP I knew it was my responsibility to come up with the president's gift and I was stumped until I saw his finial which looks like the Lemoyne Star quilt pattern.

Mark was so kind to stop by our house in Northern Virginia on his way to Richmond. He brought along various types of wood and samples and sat with Charlie and me to understand my vision. The wood combination I chose was the same he used - maple, padauk, and black veneer. The padauk had to be in the blank due to the barn red color which relates to the barn our guild is named after.

So here we are eight months later and I am thrilled to share pictures of the gorgeous segmented chevron pen blank and Lemoyne Star finial Mark designed and created and my sweet hubby (Mr. Charlie_W) turned to perfection to fit a Jr. Statesman II kit. I am also including the quilt that contains blocks made by guild members that I finished. To say our guild president was blown away is an understatement. She hugged me with tears in her eyes and thanked me over and over for the pen.

Who would have thought reading through posts on IAP would have led to a 3-person collaboration including a quilt inspired by a very special pen? Thank you Mark James. You knocked it out of the park!

Please note it did not take Mark eight months to make the blank and finial. I had to wait until the gift was presented at our end of year party before posting any pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_6877.jpg
    IMG_6877.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_6881.jpg
    IMG_6881.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_6884.jpg
    IMG_6884.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_6875.jpg
    IMG_6875.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_6899.jpg
    IMG_6899.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 353
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great job Charlie! I like your finish better than my finishes.

I had confidence with the blanks, but was worried about the finial. You nailed it. I have only made 3-4 of these finials, so it's nice to see it came out aligned.

Thank you for considering me to assist with the gift, and the quilt is superb.

Charlie_W

Great job Charlie! I like your finish better than my finishes.

I had confidence with the blanks, but was worried about the finial. You nailed it. I have only made 3-4 of these finials, so it's nice to see it came out aligned.

Thank you for considering me to assist with the gift, and the quilt is superb.

Thanks Mark! The finial is the icing on the cake! I let it stand a little proud of the cap recess to highlight your great segmenting.

Charlie_W

Thanks all for the compliments on the pen......90% of those go to Mark for his fabulous blanks. I was merely the turner, finisher, and assembly person on this project.

My Wonderful Wifey gets the credit for the idea, wood selection and layout as she had the vision for the presidential pen!

The quilt also turned out very nicely with the help of the guild members, one other quilter and Wifey.....another collaboration in itself.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Now, now, now Charlie... I just glue sticks of wood together! :wink: But this was a really fun activity. I thoroughly enjoy seeing this finished in such a nice gesture to someone who appreciates it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I just did some glue-work! The turning and finishing was all Charlie's effort. Oh, the choice of colors was all Robin. Fun collaboration.

It's an honor to be on the front page, but especially to be on the coat-tails of Charlie and Robin.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Oh My Goodness!!! Thank you so much Jeff...this is indeed an honor!

I know Mark says he just glues sticks together but, he does do some fantastic gluing!....he is probably still picking glue off his fingers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom