Cold Heat soldering tool from HF

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Anyone tried this and does it really work as advertised?

I am intrigued and thinking of trying it but hoping to get more info if possible.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beamer

Never used one, but here's why:

They do work. The technology is actually quite old. There are people who have made their own out there. Googling came up with a few, it's also on Howstuffworks.com.

The problem is that the tip needs a very solid contact in order to operate. Sometimes that means pressing it hard. Consequently, the tip breaks because the material its made of is incredibly brittle. Once it breaks, it usually doesn't work. It's very easy to break these tips, i've heard.

That's basically the reason I haven't gotten one.

Randy_

Dario: Rcently, there was an investigative report on the local TV news by the consumer affairs reporter and he determined that these things didn't really work nearly as well as advertised. I suppose it is possible they work OK on tiny joints on printed circuit boards; but I doubt the average homeowner is going to be satisfied with this gizmo for normal household jobs. I certainly would not consider buying one without an iron-clad moneyback guarantee!!

Woodnknots

I have one. SHMBO needed one for doing some of her jewelry. She pressed too hard one day, and OOPS, part of the tip broke off. It works well for very small things, but it's not something I'd recommend for the average joe. If you have some technical experience, it is a great convenience over waiting for a soldering iron to heat up. You just have to be VERY gentle. If you turn the light down, you can see the small spark across the gap. If you get that, you're heating.

cozee

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Dario: Rcently, there was an investigative report on the local TV news by the consumer affairs reporter and he determined that these things didn't really work nearly as well as advertised. I suppose it is possible they work OK on tiny joints on printed circuit boards; but I doubt the average homeowner is going to be satisfied with this gizmo for normal household jobs. I certainly would not consider buying one without an iron-clad moneyback guarantee!!

BINGO!! I work for the local Mass Transit district (bodyshop) and the mechanics are always on the lookout for more portable tools so they don't have to string electrical cords everywhere. Several of them have purchased this type of soldering tool and none have been satisfied. Even the radio/communications technician had a few choice words for his. If ya really gotta have one, check the garage sales!!![:D]

txcwboy

Tips do break easy and cant do heavy connections. Kinda limited for a person that is into electronics as a hobby. Neat technology but doesnt work that well for me.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom