Coffee Ground Spiral Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
21: Coffee Ground Spiral
last post: 20- Polygonal Facets
post21.004.jpg
Using my router table, a 1/8"bit and a new spiral jig , I cut a "trench" and packed it with coffee and thin CA glue.
post21.006.jpg

The new set of spiral jigs (blue) has a tighter spiral than the last version (gray).
post20b.008.jpg

post21.009.jpg

Router bit positioned under the blank.
post21.010.jpg

I'm using slimline kit center bands as spacers.
post21.011.jpg

Moved onto the lathe.
post21.008.jpg
post21.007.jpg

I read several posts about some of you using coffee grounds as a space filler.
After assuring myself you weren't joking (I'm still on 98% sure) I decided to try it.
I never would have thought of this on my own... thanks to everyone who suggested it!!
post21.005.jpg

The base is Bolivian Rosewood. I thought a wenge center band would work with the coffee.
post21.004.jpg

Thanks for looking!
- Cullen

Soon I'll post the 3D files for the jig in the 3D Print File Library.​

Attachments

• post21.007.jpg
    post21.007.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would suggest trying a down-cut carbide spiral bit next time and it should eliminate the fuzzies and produce a very sharp edge.

The down cut bits are the second group. Down cut spiral bits - cut by forcing the dust downward away from the router, and most importantly cut the edges on a downward leaning edge, thereby making the edge smoother.

I love your ingenuity! Absolutely GREAT!

Last edited:

Wmcullen

I would suggest trying a down-cut carbide spiral bit next time and it should eliminate the fuzzies and produce a very sharp edge.
Hank- Thanks for the suggestion and link! I'm notoriously cheap but your recommendation carries weight and the bit has been ordered.

Where can a guy buy a spiral jig? That hole jig is ingenious.
Joe- Appreciate the compliment and this has been a recurring theme. Trying to figure out how to get these jigs into others' hands has been tricky. I have, or will shortly, make the 3d print files available for free. I wish I could tell people they can take the file to their local OfiiceDepot or Staples and have them printed... but that still seems to be in the "near distant" future. Or at least it's not cheap/easy/reliable yet.

Nicely job Cullen. Makes we want to dig out my Beall Pen Wizard to try the swirls w/infills. Well done.
Thanks John- Sometime I'd love to try a Beall Pen Wizard. I'm absolutely sure it makes each of these tasks much better/cleaner/more precise. These cheap little jigs I'm toying with are more along the lines of jerry-rigged disposable DIY one-offs. But they are fun to design. ; )

Wmcullen

This is my first time using coffee as an inlay material and I'm unsure if I did it right.
I read on this site someone was drying out used grounds. I followed that advice and think it worked well... but now I'm wondering why.
Is it just a way to recycle old coffee or is there a reason it works better than unused coffee?
In conjunction with thin CA glue I was surprised/thrilled that it filled the space so thoroughly and dried really fast.
If anyone has advice/observations I'm eager to listen.
Thanks!
Cullen

Curly

People are cheap and don't want to waste their precious coffee. 😉 I've said it before but your spice cabinet has lots of nicely coloured powders that can be used as filling material to match or contrast. Chilli powder, Turmeric, Paprika, Mustard, Cocoa powder and there are a lot of dried green bits too. Great way to get more use out of old spices if you are too cheap to throw them out.🙂

magpens

@Curly , @Wmcullen

I am going to name you two the Cullen and Curly Co-operative .... and your trademark will be cheapness. . . CCC .

So why don't you two guys get your heads together and come up with the absolutely cheapest pen possible !!!

Let's say it can use nothing that you HAVE to purchase, except, possibly, a Parker refill and spring.

Well, ... maybe a Cross refill .... we'll C !!!

Last edited:

Curly

Mal you mean like drilling a hole in a half inch dowel I bought in the early 80s and glueing a refill that Marla pulled from a Sierra Click kit when she was replacing them with Uniball 207s in it with some old CA that is not thin anymore? Nah! That would be a waste of my time according to my dog. She would rather I played tug a rope with her.

KenB259

@Curly , @Wmcullen

I am going to name you two the Cullen and Curly Co-operative .... and your trademark will be cheapness. . . CCC .

So why don't you two guys get your heads together and come up with the absolutely cheapest pen possible !!!

Let's say it can use nothing that you HAVE to purchase, except, possibly, a Parker refill and spring.

Well, ... maybe a Cross refill .... we'll C !!!
Doesn't get much cheaper than this.
42A89934-D6D3-4ABB-865D-F27B0B14238E.jpeg

RGVPens

Awesome pen! Very cool idea...wish I had a 3D printer. But after the move I can't even get my regular printer to work right! 🤣

Top Bottom