Coffee bean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Found a few posts about coffee bean blanks, but figured much may have changed since then.
I went to the new PSI showroom(they were closed a few weeks for relocation) with a list, and managed to come home with more than what I planned(big surprise there haha). Anyway, I picked up 3 coffee bean blanks hoping to make at least on good pen (ive seen how they can be tricky to work with).
My problem is, I dont know exactly which kit I want to use one in. I'm leaning towards a bolt action, being that it's bigger and wont have to turn down the blank too far. The EDC is an option as well.
I use carbide (square negative rake, and a regular round), so I know i'll have to be extra careful and take my time. Might use the Penpal so I can step away from it and use the bigger lathe for other projects in between.
Any tips and tricks that I may have missed from previous threads would be greatly appreciated.

Sly Dog

By buying 3 blanks and hoping to get at least one good pen it sounds to me like you know the risks. šŸ˜€ I've only turned a couple of them - one was fine (that I put on a Sierra) and the other blew up. Even the one that turned out fine required having a bottle of thin CA nearby to glue in the occasion small piece that flew off or to pack a small void with coffee dust. Light passes and sharp tools being your best bet against beans - or pieces of them - flying off, it can still happen. Just be patient. Your shop is going to smell great, too!

keithbyrd

I have used just about every kind of kit on coffee been blanks. Just keep thin CA at hand. stop frequently and check the beans - apply a little thin CA if you see any cracks, light cuts, sharp tools. I keep a container of finely ground coffee close by so if any beans or pieces come loose leaving holes I pack the coffee into the hole and thin CA, spray accelerator and move forward.

Top Bottom