Cocobolo and sheeps horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

The ends of the blanks are from the horn of a black faced sheep ( known here as hornies ) which I found while clearing the side of my late father's garage.
He kept 30 or 40 hornies at one time and I would estimate this horn to be about 40 years old.
IMG_0430.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The ends of the blanks are from the horn of a black faced sheep ( known here as hornies ) which I found while clearing the side of my late father's garage.
He kept 30 or 40 hornies at one time and I would estimate this horn to be about 40 years old.View attachment 238187

That is a very beautiful pen !!!

When you say "ends of the blanks", are you referring to the black portions ?

Alan Morrison

[QUOTE="magpens, post: 2076133, member: 12428"
When you say "ends of the blanks", are you referring to the black portions ?[/QUOTE]

Hello Mal.
The black rings next to the silver is horn. The pen is resting on an offcut of the horn, which turns up very black as you can see.
Hope that you are well, and say hello to your Fermanagh girl.
Alan

iamrohn

I keep coming back to this pen, mesmerized by it.

What did you use for the "silver" portion, the segments touching all the blacks? It looks too thick for soda cans (which I haven't tried myself so who knows [emoji1745])

Thanks (I really am enjoying staring at it)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Alan Morrison

What did you use for the "silver" portion, the segments touching all the blacks? It looks too thick for soda cans (which I haven't tried myself so who knows [emoji1745])

Thanks for your interest, Rohn, and the simple answer is Silver.
I bought some 1.00mm square top silver wire and shaped it into a ring to fit onto the tube.
The black portions are the sheeps horn and I made the centre ring from maple.
Best regards
Alan

howsitwork

That is absolutely stunning work.🙇‍♂️ I have not yet tried turning horn although seen Kip Christiansen did a brilliant demo some years back , ( about 20 years back if I am honest) and am girding my loins slowly to have a go.

iamrohn

Thanks for your interest, Rohn, and the simple answer is Silver.
I bought some 1.00mm square top silver wire and shaped it into a ring to fit onto the tube.
The black portions are the sheeps horn and I made the centre ring from maple.
Best regards
Alan
What a clever solution! Thanks for letting me know. (I would've guessed the center ring was antler perhaps, but not maple - very nice indeed!)

Alan Morrison

That is absolutely stunning work.🙇‍♂️ I have not yet tried turning horn although seen Kip Christiansen did a brilliant demo some years back , ( about 20 years back if I am honest) and am girding my loins slowly to have a go.
Ian, just jump in, but a wee word of caution--- wear a good dust mask when turning horn or antler. You should be able to get either in Yorkshire and give it a go.
Alan

howsitwork

Ian, just jump in, but a wee word of caution--- wear a good dust mask when turning horn or antler. You should be able to get either in Yorkshire and give it a go.
Alan
Yes I have been warned about the many hazards of turning bone and antler from the dust but it never hurts to repeat good advice. I have, and use , an air helmet when turning hazardous stuff. I can't claim I wear it all the time , BUT I SHOULD .

Stay safe Alan and thanks

Top Bottom