Cocobolo - 1st Enduro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldimick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

Enduro does a pretty nice job. If you don't put it on too thick you don't really lose the warm feeling of wood.

These scans do not do justice to the gloss finish from Enduro. The two wood pens were sanded to 400 and then cleaned with DNA. Then sanded to 12000 MM. 3 coats of Sanding Sealer was applied. Then 3200-12000MM again. Finally three coats of Enduro was lightly applied. Buffed and then TSOW was applied and lightly buffed again.

I think that if you are going to use Enduro you need to rethink your pen making process. It is best used with multiple mandrels, and about 4-6 pens being made at a time. Sort of mass production style.

200582101339_enduro%20cocobolo.jpg

This one is from Woodcraft. Tremendous depth.

20058210242_Captured%20Photos%2000000.jpg

Finally, A Red Oak with Enduro. Pen was sort of a mess but the kids wanted it. The wood was punky and I didn't catch it soon enough.

200582102422_Captured%20Photos%2000001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ldimick
<br />
I think that if you are going to use Enduro you need to rethink your pen making process. It is best used with multiple mandrels, and about 4-6 pens being made at a time. Sort of mass production style.

You don't need multiple mandrels.. just make a blank holder from a piece of scrap wood and some dowels or 1/4" rod... you take the blanks off the mandrel you are turning on when dry to the touch and put them on the rods to cure until ready to buff out...
This is the one I use
200561414738_AssemblyStand.jpg

Fred in NC

Much like what I use, Tom.

For those who have not used 1/4"-20 threaded rod, the outside diameter is a bit less than 1/4" because of the threads. That is approximately mandrel size, so it fits slimline tubes very well.

wayneis

Wow Griz, thats pretty fancy. I just use a 2" X 14" piece of pine with finish nails pounded in a little.

I have always had several pens going at once in different stages, that way I have completed pens coming out most every day.

Wayne

ldimick

That resembles work! I just leave the blanks on the mandrel while I turn the next one and a couple of hours later it's ready to go back on the lathe.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Lynn-- Thos are very nice pens and I really appreciate hearing your thoughts on how your finishing worked. I know what you mean about scans. I've been posting photographs for a month or two now. While my photography skills need a lot of work, I do find that the camera does a much better job than the scanner. Keep up the beautiful work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom