Coco Slim #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

I said that I was going to make a second Cocobolo slimline cuz I didn't want to give away the first one to my friend's brother who is getting a lung transplant soon. He is going thru all the preliminary testing right now to verify that his body will take the transplant.

So I turned a second and quite different pen. I didn't acetone this pen like the first. In fact, I oiled it more with a dab of tung oil. I felt it was less oily to begin with and could use a grain pop.

I also used sanding sealer on this one where I didn't use it on the first. I used thin CA for the first two layers and sanded with dry 400 grit and then switched to medium CA with no BLO sanding each layer with dry 400 grit until the last which was wet sanded MM-12000 followed by Meguiar's and Ren Wax.

I used used a bright chrome kit on this one instead of the Black Chrome. I am going to let a friends brother select from the two since you guys convinced me not to selfishly keep the first pen. Now at least I have a 50% chance of getting it!

sCIMG5674.jpg
sCIMG5677.jpg

sCIMG5675.jpg
sCIMG5676.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Love that Coco Bree. This one is a beaut and, has a great finish. I hope the transplant works out for him and,he enjoys the pen.

Bree

UPDATE

This pen was sent to my friend's brother who needed a lung transplant. A couple of weeks ago I talked to the brother and he loved the pen, He told me that he was putting it back in the wrapper and tube and he was going to first use it to sign his discharge papers from the hospital after his transplant.

Well earlier this week he went into critical condition with failure of both of his lungs. He was put on a ventilator and sedated. They got a lung for him but it turned out to be cancerous and was rejected. He was given a few hours to live when the lungs of a 23 yr old guy became available.

The lungs tested out clear by noon Monday and he was in surgery within 2 hrs. The operation was expected to take 8 hrs and he was given a 50/50 chance to live. It actually took 3.5 hrs to transplant two lungs. The lungs were "expanded" and they left him open to allow the lungs to naturally recede to normal size.

Yesterday, my friend called me to let me know that his brother had been closed up and taken off the ventilator. His vitals were good and they were preparing to wake him and get him into physical therapy. The operation was apparently a huge success.

He still has a long way to go before he is out of the woods but he is through the worst part of it. And God willing, it looks like he will be signing himself out of the hospital with this pen in 4 more weeks.

Miracles do happen.

PaulDoug

Here's hoping for a great recovery. What a story. Great pen also. I love coco and have lots of it now thanks to John Gerst. One question though and I am asking to learn, why do you sand between each coat of CA? I always apply up to 8 or 10 layer than sand. Just curious.

ToddMR

Very nice pen! Is that diag cut cocobolo? REALLY liking the grain on that piece. You did a fabulous job on this pen. The finish looks great!

Bree

Here's hoping for a great recovery. What a story. Great pen also. I love coco and have lots of it now thanks to John Gerst. One question though and I am asking to learn, why do you sand between each coat of CA? I always apply up to 8 or 10 layer than sand. Just curious.

Good question. I usually don't. In this case, I used a lot of CA and the very light sanding was just to keep some of the roughness down. I wanted the final coat to be very smooth to reduce the wet sanding. Not sure that it made any difference at all other than to take a bit longer.

One of the reasons that I like to add a little BLO is to keep from having to do any intermediary sanding. So this was unusual for me.

BTW... my friend's brother is doing GREAT! He is off pain meds and he is TALKING!! He is reducing his dependence on the tracheal device to help his breathing and he is starting to do exercises in bed. So thanks to all of you who helped barrage him with prayers!! I let him know that we have been like an MLRS battery of prayer missiles.

Top Bottom