Coasters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from delbruce

delbruce

Newbie here and enjoying reading all about everything. Thought I'd ask a question a little off topic, but still dealing with wood.
I have a set of 6 coasters made from round branches of different species of trees(domestic.. walnut, oak, pine, juniper, etc.) The are about are about 3 inches diameter and about 1/4-3/8 inch think. What makes them unusual and beautiful is the hartwood/sapwood color. They seem to have flock on the bottom and the top is finished to a highly sanded( satin gloss finish) Friends have commented and wanted a set, so I'm trying to figure out how to do it.
I can get a source for cutting them, but...how do you suggest I keep them from doing all the things wood likes to do like checking, splitting, curling etc.
Would you cut them dry or green?
I've had some thoughts on waxing the ends, cutting them and waxing the whole thing, cutting and putting between two boards and clamp for a long time..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.. delbruce@aol.com if you would rather.
Thank you , Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wb7whi

Do both. Experiment, thats part of the hobby. Your problems will come from the pith so when you wax, wax the pith on both sides assuming you have cut the branch into sections. If not then just wax the ends of the branches.

As kinda an afterthought you can get an old non-working freezer or fridge and strip it out. Drill some 1/2 in holes on the bottom sides and the top sides. Install a 100 watt lightbulb and a small dc fan and you have a klin. Should be able to find a freezer for nothing on craigs list. Just a thought.

KenBrasier

Bruce,I have made a bunch of coasters sliced from Eastern Redcedar, Walnut, and Cherry Limbs. I soaked them in a product called Pentacryl, which is supposed to keep green wood from craching and splitting as it dries. And they haven't cracket or split, but I don't like the look of the finish (I may not have let them dry long enough after the soaking). Next time I am going to try and dry the "slices" in a food dehydrater and see what happens.

delbruce

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will be getting the raw material over the next couple of months and will try all the different ways to do this. I will try the food dehydrator as a possible.. As a clock repair person, my drying tank is an old school record player, with a hair dryer put in the side. Might try that, in many different manners, standing on edge or on a grid shelf.. Will keep those interested informed.
Bruce

seawolf

Cut the over thick and put them in a coffee can. When the can is full pour in DNA to cover add a flat stone if needed to keep them from floating. Snap on the lid and let soak for a day or two. Take them out and put them in a brown paper sandwich bag. fold the top and set on a shelf for a few weeks. They should dry with little or no checking.
Mark

Top Bottom