Coal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scotty

I would like to make a few pens from coal for my family. I am thinking crushed coal cast into resin. Probably not the prettiest idea, but I like the coal theme. Anyone have any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

this will be interesting... but if you crush it too fine, it might just end up being a black colorant... coal all the same but some chunks of it might look cool too.

Scotty

Our old farm was sold sometime in the 1960's. A coal company ended up with it later, and all of it has been strip mined. There is no evidence of a homeplace at all now. There is an old cemetery still there. My g grandparents are burried there. I picked up a few lumps of coal when I was there last time. Would like to do something for my bro and sis, so thought about a coal pen. I do not cast at all, and not all that good at turning to be honest. I have made about 25-30 pens. That's the reason for the questions here. Anyone ever done it? Anyone willing to give it a shot if I send them the coal? Ken, I think all this is soft coal. I thought about trying to drill and turn a piece, but it would still be very brittle. What would make it more durable? Thanks for the ideas and help. You all are the experts here, certainly not me!

JWW

I think that coal would make a beautiful pen. There are several people who sculpt coal figures and such so that might be an avenue to find out about stabilization.

I stoked our furnace with coal for many years as a kid and played around with it too. I wouldn't think that drilling would be a problem.

Getting consistent pieces might be a problem but once it was broken up you could sift it to get it consistent.I don't know much about the casting process but maybe the tube could be suspended during the pour thus eliminating a drilling problem if one was expected and keeping the suspended coal consistent..

Scotty

See, now that is why I ask for your help.....you folks are creative. I only create sawdust and wood shavings. Anyone willing to cast a few for me? I need six for family. An even dozen wouldn't hurt. Thanks.

ElMostro

All I can say right now is that it is MESSY:D but doable. I am working on one blank right now, it will be a Sierra. Blank is cast, cut and drilled, tube is inside and ends are milled...it is in the mandrel and ready to go. Unfortunately there is this thing called WORK I have to go to everyday so I had to pause. Will turn the blank tomorrow morning (before work) and hopefully be able to post pics over the weekend. I will post even if its a bust. More to follow, Eugene.

Top Bottom