CNC Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all, Quick question for folks with a Shark--How well does it do engraving metal? I know those things are not really designed for milling metal, but the website mentions being able to cut on "soft-metals." I would like to do some guilloche-style engravings on some metal blanks. (Guilloche is, essentially, the creation of optical effects by using closely spaced lines. Think of the spirograph thing you had when you were a kid.) I would need to be able to engrave very thin lines--maybe .2mm thick very closely together in a repeating pattern (maybe .2mm apart from each other). If the Shark can handle the metal, does anyone have a sense of whether it's sufficiently accurate and able to make such a fine pattern? I'm thinking these could turn into some really cool inserts for turned boxes, among other things.

One other Q: Do you think I could get by with the SD series or would this require the HD series. I wouldn't really need the extra bed capacity. But it seems like the reinforced rails and the capacity for a bigger router motor could be worthwhile.

I guess the other option would be a small benchtop CNC mill. I haven't researched it, but I suspect those would be more expensive than the Shark. And they strike me as having a steeper learning curve.

duncsuss

I thought guilloche was done with a point tool (such as a scratch awl) not a rotary tool. The depth of cut is minimal, and a tiny point just touching the surface has effectively zero movement anyway.

EricRN

I thought guilloche was done with a point tool (such as a scratch awl) not a rotary tool. The depth of cut is minimal, and a tiny point just touching the surface has effectively zero movement anyway.
Yeah. The depth of cut is pretty small. We're talking tenths of a millimeter. That's why I initially thought a Shark could handle it. But I read a bunch of stuff saying don't use it on metal. I guess maybe the bigger issue is whether the Shark has the precision for it--both the depth of cut precision so as not to go too deep, and the XY precision to evenly space the cuts at such a small scale.

I have the HD4 and wouldn't shape metal on it. Not beefy enough and not set up for the water mist, etc. Many are using a diamond drag bit on brass and acrylic without any issues.

Top Bottom