Closed End Jr Gent Earth Cast - Simbawa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from constamj

constamj

This is going to be a gift for a missionary that I know. I thought it would be a fitting gift. Thanks to Karl for hard work he did to make the blank. I hope it lives up to its creator's scrutiny. :D

Thanks again Karl.

200844221627_IMGP2997.jpg

200844221641_IMGP3002.jpg

20084422170_IMGP3004.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That's a really fine pen Michael. Your friend will be stunned I'm sure. Great blank by Karl. Your craftsmanship on the pen looks impeccable and you've done very nicely on the photography as well.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Absolutely beautiful Michael ! I can't wait to get my blanks from Karl ! Good choice kit & blanks . I'm sure your friend will cherish it ! Thanks for sharing ! [8D]

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, Michael, you made that blank sing! Excellent craftsmanship, I know those things aren't exactly the easiest to turn and finish! I love the cap finial, I was wondering how well those blanks would work for that. :D

I may have to make one of those for myself. I need a new fountain pen. (Well, 'need' is a matter of perspective, I guess...hehe)

jhs494

Outstanding job! That is a fabulous blank and an outstanding pen.
Keep up the great work.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

stevers

That is the "coolest" blank. Great job turning Michael and great job Karl on the blank. If you make more for yourself, let me know if you would like to make one or two for me.

constamj

The finial is not perfect. Once I put it on I noticed a chip from the wood part. I was able to fit a small chip back in with some CA, but I may make another one. It was not the easiest to finish. The combination of wood and plastic is hard to balance. I used a CA/BLO finish but had to be sparing with the BLO and heavy with the CA. Multiple coats. Someone will ask so the answer is lots of coats and very light cuts with 400 to build up the finish. Now that I have done one I think the next couple will turn out even better.

Thanks for all the great comments.

stevers

I didn't realize it was wood and plastic, a worthless wood blank. That would make it a perfect candidate for a double cast. I have achieved the best finishes using that method.
For that matter, I may try the blank myself. I'll have to see if I have any WW blanks that would work.
I just love that deep blue. It's a perfect way to represent the ocean.

karlkuehn

Banned
Yeah, that's the same thing I've found works best for me with those blanks. When I do them now, I just overturn them a little bit and build the CA up. It goes pretty quick once you get in the swing. Definitely not a blank for PPP stick finish. :D

Top Bottom