Closed End #6 FP with Black & Copper TruStone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

My latest Kitless pen out of the shop. I've had this one in the back of my head for some time and with a few free evenings I had time to make it this week. The body and cap are TruStone's Black Marble with Copper veining. I ordered a JOWO #6 with Rose Gold plating to match the blank. The section and body threads were made from Ebonite. The cap has an aluminum insert for the threads. Hope you like it. Comments and advice are always welcome.
5A38042F-A136-4BFC-821A-3F0069F8FF5B.jpeg
0879D965-BE8F-4466-94EF-758443A8AE83.jpeg
9D771198-0349-439A-A330-272549EB2ED4.jpeg

Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenHog

Very nice!

Was it tricky to get such a nice polish? I find black is usually a pain to sand/micromesh, but I haven't used a TruStone blank yet.

More4dan

Thanks folks for the kind words. The TruStone was wet sanded with 500 grit, Micro Mesh 1500-12,000, and then car polish for the final finish. The TruStone polishes up quite well, just keep it wet and cool and sand long ways every other grit.

For threads I made inserts. Aluminum for the cap and ebonite for the body. I drilled the TruStone and glued in the inserts with 30 min epoxy.

The JOWO nib and feed came from Spain, www.fpnibs.com , they do some really cool nib modifications and platings, very reasonably priced too.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

darrin1200

Thanks folks for the kind words. The TruStone was wet sanded with 500 grit, Micro Mesh 1500-12,000, and then car polish for the final finish. The TruStone polishes up quite well, just keep it wet and cool and sand long ways every other grit.

For threads I made inserts. Aluminum for the cap and ebonite for the body. I drilled the TruStone and glued in the inserts with 30 min epoxy.

The JOWO nib and feed came from Spain, www.fpnibs.com , they do some really cool nib modifications and platings, very reasonably priced too.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

That pen is beautiful Danny. Do your sleeves go all the way through the cap and barrel, or just where the threads are?
I love the TruStone, but have not had much luck with unsupported walls.

More4dan

Great question! I drilled the blank for the body insert but the hole in the TruStone came out oversized. I ended up having to make a second ebonite insert. For the cap I drilled smaller and bored to size. Next time I will drill first, measure, then make the inserts to fit. The inserts are a cylindrical sleeve with the threads cut.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom