Clock motor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Where to buy this. I have a clock (gift) that sat for a year. Put a battery in today and it does not work. Getting replaced.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 75
  • FCE27933-DA0E-43BF-A3FE-BBDC07CBB0B0.jpeg
    FCE27933-DA0E-43BF-A3FE-BBDC07CBB0B0.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Where to buy this. I have a clock (gift) that sat for a year. Put a battery in today and it does not work. Getting replaced.
Seiko is probably your best these days. It looks like those are large hands so I would go with a high torque motor. Cost a little more but will be worth it.

WriteON

I can buy the replacement motor from the company that sells this clock. It's overpriced at $25 shipped but it'll fit and it's done. The shaft length is correct and it comes with new hands. Thanks for the replies.... very helpful

Attachments

• B569206E-1BCB-4D2F-9D47-A75B45DA344B.jpeg
    B569206E-1BCB-4D2F-9D47-A75B45DA344B.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 83

penicillin

As we have seen above, you can find clock mechanisms from many sources. The basic clock mechanisms like the one in your photo come in a common size, but the stems do not. They vary considerably in stem length, to match the various thicknesses of clock faces.

-> The important point is to buy a clock mechanism whose stem length is the same as the stem length of the broken clock mechanism.

WriteON

I did purchase the original motor replacement from the company the clock came from. For a few bucks more I know it'll fit. Regardless I'm having fun and learning something new. If I want to make a clock I now have some experience.

Attachments

• 8B614F41-E26B-4199-9DF4-221B82E24213.jpeg
    8B614F41-E26B-4199-9DF4-221B82E24213.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 64

jttheclockman

I did purchase the original motor replacement from the company the clock came from. For a few bucks more I know it'll fit. Regardless I'm having fun and learning something new. If I want to make a clock I now have some experience.
What is the name on the motor?

WriteON

I got the motor today and back in business. It is cheap junk however I'll order a better one and use the one I just got for a small project

Attachments

• BAD9B698-FF76-46F0-8304-02F58F7A6DFC.jpeg
    BAD9B698-FF76-46F0-8304-02F58F7A6DFC.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 56

sbwertz

These people are great

My dad's hobby was fixing old clocks and he swore by Timesavers. They are right here in Arizona and every time he would come to visit we would have to make a trip over to their store.

WriteON

I'm looking for simple ideas for a clock face. I used a 45RPM record, Might use an LP, CD, etc...... Please post what you have done.

sbwertz

One year my dad bought a set of 8-day cuckoo clock weights at TimeSavers. They are made to look like pine cones. TSA freaked out when they xrayed his baggage and found what they thought were hand grenades,

WriteON

One year my dad bought a set of 8-day cuckoo clock weights at TimeSavers. They are made to look like pine cones. TSA freaked out when they xrayed his baggage and found what they thought were hand grenades,
Guess I'm not putting this on a bottle and trying to get through security

Attachments

• Grenade Stopper.jpg
    Grenade Stopper.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

WriteON

Hobby Lobby has several types of clock movement and hands. Also, www.klockit.com for all kinds of clock stuff.
Thanks. Will look at Klockit. Here's my HobbyLobby. I tell people it's short a few hands. I'm doing another like this but will try a nice finish on it

Attachments

• 127AEA62-5ECC-4EAA-834D-997FA4252CEB.jpeg
    127AEA62-5ECC-4EAA-834D-997FA4252CEB.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 45

penicillin

I'm looking for simple ideas for a clock face. I used a 45RPM record, Might use an LP, CD, etc...... Please post what you have done.
We didn't do this, but here is one idea:

We have had a "saw blade" clock in our garage for many many years. The face is an ordinary 7-1/4 inch circular saw blade with a painted face. We have had it for a long time, but the mechanism is no longer reliable. I ordered a replacement mechanism which arrived yesterday. The mechanism I ordered is not the exact same mechanism, but it is comparable. The important requirement is that it has a hanger loop on the mechanism itself to hold the clock. Most clock mechanisms do not have the built-in hanger loop. You can buy a separate hanger for those other mechanisms if you wish.

Try this search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=saw+blade+clock&tbm=isch

Here is our clock. I added the protective strip around the teeth to make handling and mechanism replacement easier. Notice the "hanger loop" at the top of the mechanism. When I replaced the mechanism with the one in the photo, I discovered that the 7-1/4 inch saw blade has a small arbor hole. I didn't measure it, but it is close to the clock shaft size - maybe 1/4 or 3/8 inch. The clock shaft is "sloppy" in the hole, but close. I held the clock shaft "centered" as I tightened the nut, and that worked fine. It is now back in the garage and working well. If I had a 7-1/4 inch blade with a 5/8 inch arbor, I would find or make a washer to keep the clock shaft centered in the arbor hole.

Saw Blade Clock and Mechanism with Hanger.JPG

WriteON

We didn't do this, but here is one idea:

We have had a "saw blade" clock in our garage for many many years. The face is an ordinary 7-1/4 inch circular saw blade with a painted face. We have had it for a long time, but the mechanism is no longer reliable. I ordered a replacement mechanism which arrived yesterday. The mechanism I ordered is not the exact same mechanism, but it is comparable. The important requirement is that it has a hanger loop on the mechanism itself to hold the clock. Most clock mechanisms do not have the built-in hanger loop. You can buy a separate hanger for those other mechanisms if you wish.

Try this search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=saw+blade+clock&tbm=isch

Here is our clock. I added the protective strip around the teeth to make handling and mechanism replacement easier. Notice the "hanger loop" at the top of the mechanism. When I replaced the mechanism with the one in the photo, I discovered that the 7-1/4 inch saw blade has a small arbor hole. I didn't measure it, but it is close to the clock shaft size - maybe 1/4 or 3/8 inch. The clock shaft is "sloppy" in the hole, but close. I held the clock shaft "centered" as I tightened the nut, and that worked fine. It is now back in the garage and working well. If I had a 7-1/4 inch blade with a 5/8 inch arbor, I would find or make a washer to keep the clock shaft centered in the arbor hole.

View attachment 333078
I like it. Ordering a DeWalt blade. Thanks.

jttheclockman

Frank over the years I have made several different styles. Use PIntrest for examples of what you are looking for. As far as the records go many scrollers use those to scroll designs in them and make into clocks. Garage sales is a good place to pick up cheap albums. again Pintrest will supply examples. As far as clock motors Yes Klockit is probably the popular place to get them. Just would suggest when you use large hands for clocks of that size. You need to step up to a heavier motor it is called a high torque motor. will last longer too. Those saw blade clocks are actually made to show. I believe Dewalt has one as other do. I know Craftsman use to. I have made and will once again make some billiard ball clocks. Use billiardballs for the numerals around the clock. green felt background on plywood for body of clock. Sorry have no photos of alot of my earlier stuff. And many photos I have are printed versions.

Here is a great example of someone selling on Etsy. Listen I am just showing photo so do not send the moral police here. But is this proper or is this illegal. Ask Mike.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/955810612/dewalt-tools-handmade-saw-blade-clock

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Thanks. Will look at Klockit. Here's my HobbyLobby. I tell people it's short a few hands. I'm doing another like this but will try a nice finish on it
Nice clock. I have to "hand" it to your creativity. I'm wanting to make one for our wildlife agency's outing in August. Three, 6, 9, 12 will be big brass cartridges (trimmed to thickness of wood) and the other positions will be small brass. I'll turn the wood on my lathe; have a big choice of wood.

Woodchipper

TSA people get in trouble when they think. Heard they took knitting needles from an elderly lady. Guess she looked like a terrorist. BTW, www.klockit.com has kits to assemble. Saves a lot of time.

Top Bottom