Clip Bolt Action with Ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

This is a new kit for me, the Clip Bolt Action from PSI. The finish is anodized green. The blank is also new for me, a black and green Ebonite. I wasn't sure how well the Ebonite would polish, but it didn't turn out too bad. Several members here recommended buffing wheels, but I don't have any, so I used my normal method. Wet sand with 100 grit, then 220-600 grits. Then the three Dr. Kirk's Micro Magic, and finally PlastX plastic polish. I must say I didn't like the blank very much as I was turning it, but I like it better as a pen.

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 231
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

The kit is unusual in that you push the clip down and turn it slightly to extend the refill. I like that feature.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 174
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 184

qquake

After I had initially polished it, I went back and ran through all nine grades of Micro Mesh followed by PlastX, to see if there was a difference. I can't see any.

Attachments

• 029_kirks.jpg
    029_kirks.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 030_PlastX.jpg
    030_PlastX.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 033_Micro Mesh.jpg
    033_Micro Mesh.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 034_PlastX.jpg
    034_PlastX.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 187

magpens

I actually think that your pictures do show some improved shine from the final micro-meshing.

Had never seen that pen kit before ... I kinda like the green anodization.

But, with regard to the "clip bolt action" concept ... it seems somewhat weird.

Maybe the purpose is to have the pen "cocked and loaded" by the time it leaves your pocket ! . Trust PSI to come up with something like that !

Can you also extend the refill by a push-and-twist on the finial ?

qquake

I actually think that your pictures do show some improved shine from the final micro-meshing.
Had never seen that pen kit before ... I kinda like the green anodization.
But, with regard to the "clip bolt action" concept ... it seems somewhat weird.
Maybe the purpose is to have the pen "cocked and loaded" by the time it leaves your pocket ! . Trust PSI to come up with something like that !
Can you also extend the refill by a push-and-twist on the finial ?

I like the green too. As for weird, I agree, but I still like it. It's the quick-draw pen!

Well, I'll be darned. You can extend it with the finial. I didn't think to try that.

magpens

LOL !!

The instructions say:

• Knurled Button provides additional functionality

magpens

@qquake

Pretty vague. What are instructions? I know not of what you speak.

Well, if you don't understand the "crypticity" of "additional functionality", here is another line from the instructions ....

• Refill can also be advanced by pushing down and twisting the top button. A quick twist in the opposite direction retracts the refill.

Oh, oh ... wait a minute ... it is the concept of "instructions" that you don't get !

Sorry ! . Well, this, my friend, is just the website for you .... stick around !! .... try .... www.penturners.org !!

Additionally .... and "By The Way" (aka BTW) .... PSI is the only pen kit company that provides printed instructions with every pen kit that they sell.

.... totally unique .... no other pen kit company does that .... I think that is terrific ! . We should give them a big round of applause .... seriously !

Last edited:

qquake

I've heard a lot of disparaging comments about PSI, but I like them overall. They have some cool kits. I made a Steampunk pen for my son and daughter-in-law's wedding pen. It fits her personality perfectly.

Attachments

• pen012.jpg
    pen012.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 181

qquake

You know what? I just noticed that one of the photos on PSI's website shows the finial being depressed.

FGarbrecht

I use the stainless version of this pen with cocobolo as my EDC. It's actually a very nice pen with good heft.

Top Bottom