Clickers and Stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

I have been doing a lot of clickers lately and made a couple stands out of wedge.
8ebe1ae1254ddc2212dc92bb66ccf276.jpg

Left to right - all stabilized and cast by me, except #3 and #4

#1 - RW Burl (stabilized)
#2 - Pheasant wood (stabilized)
#3 - Sweet gum balls (Ankrom)
#4 - Mun Ebony (stabilized)
#5 - Acrylic (unknown maker)
#6 - BM Hybrid
#7 - Maple burl Hybrid
#8 - Pheasant wood Hybrid
#9 - Cherry Burl Hybrid

#8 is currently my favorite. After the clicker failed I modified it to use the Schmidt clicker and shortened it to make it pocket friendly. Total length is now 5.25

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Looks like you are doing the same thing with the Slimline Pro as I do .... make it as a single barrel and leave out the center band.

I like your work.

One question ... the Slimline Pro comes with a sleeve that the push button slides through.

When you replace the click mechanism with the Schmidt, do you tap the top end of the sleeve, or do you make a new sleeve ?

Do you have to put in a spacer rod that "connects" the Schmidt to the top of the refill?

Thanks

I am about to order some Schmidts which I think are much superior to the original click mechanisms in the Slimline Pro.

PatrickR

Thanks Richard! To me a clicker is the perfect EDC pen.

Thanks Mal!
The conversion of the Pro couldn't be any easier. Tap the supplied bushing (its the perfect size) and make a rod to adjust the protrusion. I picked up some small aluminum tube at a hobby shop that works great. While you are tapping the bushing also open up the top of the hole to allow the mechanism to fit flush. (There is a small tenon on the base)
Converting the Script kit is a little harder. It requires making a bushing for the Schmidt mechanism.

magpens

I think maybe stuckinohio and I should fight it out as to who came up first with the basic mod (single barrel) to the Pro. ! :biggrin: . He gets credit for adding the Schmidt clicker for sure ! . I haven't done that part of the mod yet. . I have had no problems with the original Pro click mech. . . I have even used it in a thinner pen design (0.33" diam as for original slimline) as per my recent thread on that subject. . If interested look here:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/what-would-you-like-see-kitless-slimline-153969/

and here:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/my-first-kitless-slim-click-pen-154048/

There are threads by other people going back years so this topic has a long history:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/first-kitless-closed-end-slimline-37636/

The Schmidt mech is a little too fat for use on an "original slimline" -sized pen. There might be a thinner mech ... not sure.

Last edited:

OZturner

Excellent Pens and Stands Patrick.
Great Modifications of the Slimline Clicker, and the Incorporation of the Schmidt Clicker.
Love the Segmented inserts, and the long wood Blanks.
Congratulations,
Brian.

magpens

In your segmenting, did you follow the Golden Ratio that has been much mentioned in recent discussion here ? .... :)

PatrickR

Brian, thank you for the kind compliments.
Thanks Jay! The segmenting was something I thought of trying to make a "signature" type of thing. Maybe I'll keep working on the idea.
Actually Mal, Yes, I did use the golden ratio for placement of the segments. Having worked in the graphics field I have used it occasionally.

stuckinohio

Can you show what you did with the Script? I'm not familiar with the kit.

I assume by bushing you mean an insert that you put into the top collar and threaded it for the schmidt mechanism because the ID of the script collar is too large.

PatrickR

Can you show what you did with the Script? I'm not familiar with the kit.

I assume by bushing you mean an insert that you put into the top collar and threaded it for the schmidt mechanism because the ID of the script collar is too large.

Your assumption is exactly correct. I didn't take any pics.
The stock kit has a large spacer that I deleted and a recess had to be cut for the clip. The bushing slips in from the bottom stopped by a tenon.
c188524e2c839c140257d4f1f09a8910.jpg

magpens

Just for info ... I think the Woodcraft Script is the same kit as the Berea Long Boy.

I have done a lot of the Long Boy kits as single barrel much like Patrick, but I have preserved the original click mechanism and pushbutton in all.

Dieseldoc

Thanks Richard! To me a clicker is the perfect EDC pen.

Thanks Mal!
The conversion of the Pro couldn't be any easier. Tap the supplied bushing (its the perfect size) and make a rod to adjust the protrusion. I picked up some small aluminum tube at a hobby shop that works great. While you are tapping the bushing also open up the top of the hole to allow the mechanism to fit flush. (There is a small tenon on the base)
Converting the Script kit is a little harder. It requires making a bushing for the Schmidt mechanism.

Patrick:
My question is are you converting a slimline Pro PEN or is it a Pencil that you are using schmidt .

I thinking you are working on a Pencil kit.

Thanks for a reply

Charlie

Dieseldoc

Charlie, here is a link for 10 with the required tap. They also sell them individually.
https://www.milanspens.com/product-page/10-skm88-tap

For the gold plated ones get them here.
https://richardlgreenwald.com/shop/push-button-mechanisms-custom-gold-plated/

Patrick:
Thanks for the help on this , looks like I can use mechanisms on Slimline pro like you do with the long boy from what I now understand after rereading your post with a little work.

Thanks again

Charlie

PatrickR

Charlie, here is a link for 10 with the required tap. They also sell them individually.

https://www.milanspens.com/product-page/10-skm88-tap

For the gold plated ones get them here.

https://richardlgreenwald.com/shop/push-button-mechanisms-custom-gold-plated/

Patrick:

Thanks for the help on this , looks like I can use mechanisms on Slimline pro like you do with the long boy from what I now understand after rereading your post with a little work.

Thanks again

Charlie

You are very welcome Charlie.
I'm sure there are more kits that can be converted as well.

Top Bottom