Clicker with a Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nobodyparticular

I began wondering why most of the ballpoint pen kits are for twisting, rather than clicking, mechanisms. Could be a cultural thing - most people here prefer a clicker for everyday use. So I pondered this for a while, and then it clicked... why not give it a twist. So here is a clicker with a twist (just on the outside, normal clicking tech inside):

1610906025941.png

1610906008259.png

I'm not really happy with the result, I could not get the tolerances quite right. This results in a small gap between the band and the white parts - it would be so much nicer if this was perfect. Oh well, the next one will be better... but the PSI website says they are discontinuing this kit (Power Pen), so I won't have many more chances to get it wrong, uhm, right I mean.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Boy I am liking what I am seeing here lately. We have fresh blood coming on board everyday and they are bringing a new look to the site with new innovations. I am getting geeked up again and really liking what I am seeing and fresh ideas. Love the look to this pen in so many ways. Thanks for showing and keep up the great work. Love seeing new innovations and this qualifies.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mighty nice. We all know where we would have liked a better result, but that is a great design.

Thank you for sharing. đź‘Ť

Dale Lynch

Since the centerband is pressed in both sides you could try gettin some 10" tubes and cutting it to the combined length of the two tubes and centerband.Build you blank to size and turn or machine it whole like a single tube kit.No more gaps.

You are way too kind - this feels embarassingly like getting too much praise for this, and you'll probaby call me a cheater in a minute (and I would understand!).

So here is what I did: First I machined the kit's ring down quite a bit on the lathe (it is still in there, under the blue part). Then I used Fusion 360 to create the design, which is not all that complex (circles at the ends, hexagons 10 mm in each side a little larger than the circle, a bigger one in the middle, then a loft between all that and some manual twisting followed by splitting the resulting body into three parts).

Now here comes the cheating bit: I have a tiny desktop CNC mill that I used to produce the three parts. I used what Fusion calls rotary toolpaths, and the line variety of this, which means the part will rotate in very small increments (1 degree on the final pass) and the milling tool will go up/down the length of the part, following the contour of the part. So to all those who admired my pen for the workmanship: your praise goes to a soulless machine. My apologies! I'd love to be able to produce something like this just using my hands and a not quite so clever machine, but I also love the possibilities the technology offers. If this is frowned upon here, please let me know and I will not show any CNC produced pens again.

There was still some minor manual work involved: the CNC mill cannot machine all sides of a part, so cutting off and cleaning the side where it is attached to the stock is of course a manual process, as is some sanding and polishing etc.

The problem with the gap is the turned off centerband from the kit. I should have turned it down to the diameter of the tubes (I left it a little larger), which would have given me a little tolerance to use in assembly.

@Spanx: yes, this would indeed have been another possible way to achieve the same - except my mill only has a working area of about 3 inch in each axis, which is not large enough to produce a full one-barrel pen in one go.

Side note - I showed this to a relative who is a professional machinist, and asked him if this could be produced on a lathe. He believes it is possible, but would need a special lathe mostly used in the manufacturing of car engines.

Side note 2 - theoretically, I think there might be a way to do this without CNC. You would need a mechanism that links left/right movement to the turning of the part (similar as what happens when you machine gears on a lathe, only with a very different ratio), and work with a sander of some sort while turning the part by hand, i.e. sanding the contour rather than turning it in the traditional sense. Not sure if I am making myself clear...

darrin1200

U
Now here comes the cheating bit: I have a tiny desktop CNC mill that I used to produce the three parts. I used what Fusion calls rotary toolpaths, and the line variety of this, which means the part will rotate in very small increments (1 degree on the final pass) and the milling tool will go up/down the length of the part, following the contour of the part. So to all those who admired my pen for the workmanship: your praise goes to a soulless machine. My apologies! I'd love to be able to produce something like this just using my hands and a not quite so clever machine, but I also love the possibilities the technology offers. If this is frowned upon here, please let me know and I will not show any CNC produced pens again.
Don't sell yourself short Christian. That is an excellent pen design.
It takes a lot of knowledge and skill to design something, make it 3D, create the cutting files and generating the code. As well as operating the CNC. It's different if you just take someone else's work and output it to your machine.

While using a CNC is not allowed in this years Advanced Kit contest, if you drop the rest of the components, you can use CNC in the Kitless Contest.

Sorry for the shameless plug. But I think you have the skill to get into these contests.

As for your side note, @skiprat is a magician with the metal lathe. He has made many unconventional add-ons, to achieve his designs. Here is a link to some of his homemade tools

PatrickR

Great looking pen, no matter how it was produced!
When we see unique designs like this done without CNC machining the makers are usually tight lipped as to the techniques used. Thanks! Looking forward to what's next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks gentlemen - I wasn't sure how the use of CNC is seen here, I am glad it does not seem to be something that's just not done.

Darrin - thank you for pointing out the competitions. Not sure how the timeline is going to work for me this year, but if it doesn't, then maybe next year. I certainly have more ideas, the problem is finding time to try them all out.

jttheclockman

There is nothing wrong with using machinery to make pens and any other item. You still need the skils to operate said machinery. The only thing we do ask is if someone does ask do not lie and lead us on to believe this was all hand done. Which you clearly are willing to share so for that we have no problem with what you are showing and hope to see a ton more. I know from what I have seen from both some of the top line pen makers here and even the highend well known brands being sold, I try to imitate some of the designs if I like them using the tools at my disposal. Today you see more and more blanks being made or produced using this plastic printers technology for both the molds and now for blank forms. In particular the so call gisi blanks. That is expanding everyday. Now being able to do them by hand and simple machines is far greater challenge and to me in my eyes more accepted than these mass produced blanks. But they do play well. Keep up the good work and continue to show us.

Top Bottom