Click pen repair quandry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussBerg

Last spring I made my daughter a beautiful yellow with white swirls Woodcraft click pen. A couple weeks ago the clip loosened up so it just spins around the upper barrel. I compressed the top but that didn't fix it. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix the problem. I am afraid to punch the clip off because I'm afraid I'll damage the mechanism. HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

At the risk of making a bit of a mess, I would suggest applying a drop of thin CA glue, in the hope that it would find its way into the crack between the spinning clip and the finial. . I think that the excess CA will not stick very hard to the external surfaces of the metal finial, but you would want to make sure that no CA gets onto the barrel material. . When dry, I think excess CA on the metal will come off by gently working at it with your fingernail.

To transfer just a very tiny amount of thin CA, I would use a straight, stiff piece of wire like a straightened paper clip. . Dip it into the bottle of CA so that just a tiny drop forms on the end and touch that end to the spot where you want to apply it.

Last edited:

RussBerg

At the risk of making a bit of a mess, I would suggest applying a drop of thin CA glue, in the hope that it would find its way into the crack between the spinning clip and the finial. . I think that the excess CA will not stick very hard to the external surfaces of the metal finial, but you would want to make sure that no CA gets onto the barrel material. . When dry, I think excess CA on the metal will come off by gently working at it with your fingernail.

To transfer just a very tiny amount of thin CA, I would use a straight, stiff piece of wire like a straightened paper clip. . Dip it into the bottle of CA so that just a tiny drop forms on the end and touch that end to the spot where you want to apply it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

TonyL

I apply red loc tite to all my clips; it is an improvement but not bullet proof. I also used the grey JB Weld - that worked, but I found it more difficult to apply. Regardless of what I use, I keep the pen in the press for 24 hours (the full-strength curing time of the adhesive). Duncan recommended Devcon clear epoxy (I haven't found it yet). I find the "spinning clip" frustrating.

RussBerg

I apply red loc tite to all my clips; it is an improvement but not bullet proof. I also used the grey JB Weld - that worked, but I found it more difficult to apply. Regardless of what I use, I keep the pen in the press for 24 hours (the full-strength curing time of the adhesive). Duncan recommended Devcon clear epoxy (I haven't found it yet). I find the "spinning clip" frustrating.
Thanks for the advice.

Lucky2

Russ, if you're going to be trying to use CA glue on this, use the tip of a straight pin to apply it with. You won't need a lot of CA, and you want to be as accurate as possible. When you're done adding glue, you can just throw the straight pin in the trash. It's easier doing that, then it is to try and clean them after use.

Len

Reactions: DrD

RussBerg

I tried the CA glue suggestion. Using a straightened paper clip let me apply the glue without creating a mess. I will leave pressure off the upper barrel till tomorrow. Hope it works. I'll let all know either way. Thanks for all who replied.

Top Bottom