click pen assistance needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jans husband

This is the first click pen I have turned. (Button click Sierra) So far I have only turned various twist pens, and also kit fountain pens, and I have recently started to do "kitless" pens.

I thought I had followed the Assembly instructions carefully, but obviously not!

What have I done incorrectly? Any help appreciated. Can the problem be sorted out, or is it a write off?

Also, in the same assembly session the same thing happened with my first Glacia Ballpoint twist pen.

I have attached photos. Sorry about the quality

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpeg
    IMG_1315.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penchant 4

Difficult to know; but PERHAPS with the click pen, the refill did not seat completely in the click mechanism. Sometimes, the teeth on the click mechanism do not properly engage the lugs on the refill. Has happened to me and was able to correct it by unscrewing the sections and reseating the refill.

Good luck.

randyrls

Mike; Some of the kit instructions fail to mention that when pressing in the top assembly, you need apply force to the outside of the pen, and NOT on the clicker part.

Hope this isn't the case as the click mechanism is likely ruined.

I make a "push block" cut-off scrap from a previous pen.. First drill a 1/2" (not critical, just large) twist drill hole just deep enough to form a taper. Now drill a hole just larger than the size of the "clicker" part and deep enough so you don't put any force on the clicker. Put the block over the pen top and then press it in. It will apply force to the outside of the pen top. I add the push block to the bushings and sleeve that goes with the pen.

If it is the case, you can knock out the top and get another kit. This will allow you to reuse the blank.

mick

They look, especially the bottom one, like there's no spring in them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

magpens

Difficult to know; but PERHAPS with the click pen, the refill did not seat completely in the click mechanism. Sometimes, the teeth on the click mechanism do not properly engage the lugs on the refill. Has happened to me and was able to correct it by unscrewing the sections and reseating the refill.

Good luck.
They look, especially the bottom one, like there's no spring in them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IN MY EXPERIENCE .... a couple of things may be the cause, as mentioned by others above ....
There can be a slight misalignment at the top end causing the click mechanism to "catch" on the refill lugs (See comments by Penchant 4)

At the spring end, the refill can jam against the spring even if the spring is properly in place (See comment by mick).

So .... just unscrew the nib and remove the spring and refill.

Replace the refill and jiggle it around a bit to make sure it is ALL THE WAY IN (ie. "UP" )

Then put the spring on the refill. . It the spring has one end narrower than the other, ensure the narrow end of spring is up against the widening portion of the refill. . The spring might even "cling" in this position.

Re-install the nib and check. . Good luck. . Feel free to ask further questions. . Would like if you could report any progress you make.

Jans husband

Thanks All for your advice and comments.

There were springs in both, and I tried to re-seat the refills as suggested.

I am certain that the tubes were of the correct length.

So-after watching the video suggested by Ed, I am wondering if I put the click mechanism together properly. I did use a block as Randy mentioned.

I need to get 2 more kits, and try again. I will use new tubes and blanks to make sure they are of correct dimensions.

Thanks -I will report back asap

Mike

magpens

@Jans husband

Hi Michael, and thanks for your detailed reply. . It surely seems that you have done everything right.

It seems that you have encountered very similar problems with both a Click Sierra and a Twist Glacia, and that seems weird to me.

I have a very strong interest in your achieving success with these pens, so I looking forward to your future re-addressing of these issues.

I have encountered similar with a Sierra Click (of which I have made dozens) but the problem was always rectified by re-seating the refill.

I have never encountered such a problem with the Glacia Twist (of which, again, I have made many).

It will be really interesting to hear what transpires for you as you seek to solve these issues. . GOOD LUCK !!

Aside:
You said ... " I am wondering if I put the click mechanism together properly " ... puzzling ... Sierra click mechanism is fully pre-assembled.

Jans husband

Thanks Magpen
It came assembled, but I was wondering whether I had assumed it was pre-assembled, and just assembled regardless and compressed the mechanism, but the click is working perfectly-just too well!

I will persist

Mike

magpens

Thanks Magpen
It came assembled, but I was wondering whether I had assumed it was pre-assembled, and just assembled regardless and compressed the mechanism, but the click is working perfectly-just too well!

I will persist

Mike

With these fully pre-assembled top-ends (including mechanisms) you can always get the feel of whether they are working properly by holding the refill in one hand and the top end in the other, putting them together as the should be, and then testing the mechanism operation with your thumb on the push-button. . ( I suppose that is obvious and that I did not even need to say it. ) . You get a feel for the fit of the refill and for the extent of travel for the refill. . You can still do this after you've pressed the barrel on, and you'll then know if the mechanism is damaged.

Jans husband

Thanks Wayne,

You may have provided the answer!

I looked at a post from last year which confirmed that the tube lengths for the Sierra click and the Sierra twist are slightly different. The click is arrantly 2.42 inches and the Twist is 2.21. I have mixed up the 2 kits on my bench, and now I have an unmade Sierra twist kit with a Click tube!
Don't you feel foolish when something like that happens.

I think the difference in length accounts for the length of nib exposure.

Now all I need to do is??? Will the Click pen disassemble? Or am I asking for trouble? Another visit to the Library!

Thanks to all for your help

tomtedesco

Ask two pen turners a question and get five answers. LOL I have had nothing but trouble with Sierra click pens and stopped making them. Last week I saw a post about Exotic Blanks and a click pen named Le Roi, I ordered them.. Just finished making five click pens and all turned out great, if I say so myself. This kit takes a few minutes longer than the Sierra but its worth it. Just my two cents worth.

Jans husband

Yes, it appears I mixed up the twist and click tubes, and used the twist tube for the click pen.

It won't happen again!!

Thanks Ed4copies

But is it possible to disassemble the click pen, or is it a write off?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Possible? Yes
Easy? NO!!!!
Likelyhood of failure: HIGH

One method that MAY work: Find a brass tube that just fits inside the brass tube of the top of the pen. Hold the top, and hit the smaller tube with a hammer--many medium blows NOT hard blows. There is a locking pliers made for holding the top, that helps. NOTHING is foolproof.

Best of luck!!
Ed

Top Bottom