Click mechanisms......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LK&T

I've seen a few posts asking about kits that have reliable click mechanisms and read a few more that ask about troubleshooting click mechanisms out of the box. Ain't nobody got time for that! I'm looking at getting some clickers, specifically the slimline click pen, and am wondering about that kit's track record. Input, please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

If you are talking about the TRUE slimline ..... namely, with 7 mm tubes ..... that is actually very new ..... just saw kits this week for first time.
Who knows if they are reliable or what ! . I would tend to not expect too much from a 7 mm slimline clicker this new.

Or maybe you mean the Slimline Pro click type, as marketed by PSI, with 8 mm tubes ..... those have been around for a long time.
And they are kinda noisy ..... but ..... I think ..... quite reliable if assembled properly and not abused. .

Now ..... going to a bigger pen ..... the Sierra Click ..... very reliable, in my experience over 10 years ..... a fairly large pen and quieter than the Pro.

So what type of click pen is it that appeals to you ?

LK&T

If you are talking about the TRUE slimline ..... namely, with 7 mm tubes ..... that is actually very new ..... just saw kits this week for first time.
Who knows if they are reliable or what ! . I would tend to not expect too much from a 7 mm slimline clicker this new.

Or maybe you mean the Slimline Pro click type, as marketed by PSI, with 8 mm tubes ..... those have been around for a long time.
And they are kinda noisy ..... but ..... I think ..... quite reliable if assembled properly and not abused. .

Now ..... going to a bigger pen ..... the Sierra Click ..... very reliable, in my experience over 10 years ..... a fairly large pen and quieter than the Pro.

The kind that customers are going to buy! My shop has always needed some retail items that customers can buy "off the street". Basically, I need to pick up that impulse buy from folks who are in town and just checking things out. I've found nice pens fairly quick to make and profit margins looks pretty tasty.

I was looking at the Slimline Pro specifically, and thanks for clarifying that there are more than one slimline click pen.

cynot

I found that the Gatsby and Compson click pens from PSI are very reliable.

jttheclockman

mnerland

I'm a fan of the PSI Compson, my carry pen for about a year now. Have had no problems with the mechanism. Careful when pressing in the clip mechanism though. I would suggest rounding the edge slightly. You can cut into it and destroy your work.

I've only done 1 PSI Gatsby click and liked it. Sold it immediately, so can't give any feedback. Easy assembly, though.

PSI Slimline Pro- Carried one for awhile, but always had problems with it sticking. Don't know why and just kinda gave up on them.

I don't sell alot of pens, but just giving some feedback.

Mike

LK&T

https://www.penturners.org/threads/click-pens.164335/

https://www.penturners.org/threads/click-pens-quality.166554/#post-2089326

https://www.penturners.org/threads/whats-the-best-click-pen-kit.162820/

Lots of past threads on this subject. Here are a few. The

Schmidt SKM-88 Clicker is the best on the market right now and is being used in many of the clicker pens now. Pay attention to that. If the slimlines do not use it forget doing those.

I passed on the slimline clickers and got something else; I'll make a new post below about that. Thank you for the advice.

magpens

I bought a couple of these kits today https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/13/1170/artisan-Clicker-Pen-Kit. .Called the Artisan Clicker. Their site doesn't specifically say it's the Schmidt mechanism, so it probably isn't.

@LK&T ---- Here is a listing of (most of) the pen kits that utilize the Schmidt click mechanism. . I say "most of" in case I have forgotten one.

The Schmidt click mechanism has a very distinctive look to it. . When you get to know it, you will always recognize it..

That Artisan Clicker does NOT use a Schmidt click mechanism ..... there are only six or so that do, one of which is the PSI pen called "DuraClick EDC"
The "EDC" stands for Every Day Carry, but why that's included in the name, I do not know ..... every pen could be called that !

Penn State also has this one in a slim style : https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKDUSLIMCH.html

Berea Hardwoods sells two pen kits that use this same Schmidt click mechanism.

One is called the "Blade". . You can view it here :

The other is called the "Sierra Super Button Click". . You can view it here :

A Canadian company sells one called the "Luxor". . Check it out here :

So, we are up to 5 kits using that particular click mechanism made by Schmidt, which is their SKM-88 mechanism.

PSI also sells two pen kits that use a different (smaller) Schmidt mechanism, with the designation SKM-192.
The one is called the "Anvil EDC Click Pen" : https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKANVGM.html
and the other pen kit is the PSI "Groove Click Pen" : https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKGVCLCH.html

The SKM-192 (used mostly internal to the pen body) is considerably smaller than the SKM-88 (used mostly on the outside top of the pen body).

In each case, my URL reference is to one pen kit of the specified style but each style can be bought with several different metal platings.

tomtedesco

Super Sierra from Berea and Le Roi from Exotic blanks are only click pens I make. One tip from Exotic blanks that helped was using a scrap block with a hole drilled in it when pressing in the click mechanism. The button goes into the block so you are pressing against the shoulder of the clicker and not the button itself.

LK&T

@LK&T ---- Here is a listing of (most of) the pen kits that utilize the Schmidt click mechanism. . I say "most of" in case I have forgotten one.

The Schmidt click mechanism has a very distinctive look to it. . When you get to know it, you will always recognize it..

That Artisan Clicker does NOT use a Schmidt click mechanism ..... there are only six or so that do, one of which is the PSI pen called "DuraClick EDC"
The "EDC" stands for Every Day Carry, but why that's included in the name, I do not know ..... every pen could be called that !

Penn State also has this one in a slim style : https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKDUSLIMCH.html

So, we are up to 5 kits using that particular click mechanism made by Schmidt, which is their SKM-88 mechanism.

PSI also sells two pen kits that use a different (smaller) Schmidt mechanism, with the designation SKM-192.
The one is called the "Anvil EDC Click Pen" : https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKANVGM.html
and the other pen kit is the PSI "Groove Click Pen" : https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKGVCLCH.html

The SKM-192 (used mostly internal to the pen body) is considerably smaller than the SKM-88 (used mostly on the outside top of the pen body).

In each case, my URL reference is to one pen kit of the specified style but each style can be bought with several different metal platings.
A wealth of information there, Mal. Thank you. I'll be taking a look at those kits.

LK&T

Super Sierra from Berea and Le Roi from Exotic blanks are only click pens I make. One tip from Exotic blanks that helped was using a scrap block with a hole drilled in it when pressing in the click mechanism. The button goes into the block so you are pressing against the shoulder of the clicker and not the button itself.
I think the Artisan Clickers come with an assembly tool that does the same thing. At least I think it was the Artisan Clicker- it could have been one of the other dozen or so kits I read about yesterday......

LK&T

https://www.penturners.org/threads/click-pens.164335/

https://www.penturners.org/threads/click-pens-quality.166554/#post-2089326

https://www.penturners.org/threads/whats-the-best-click-pen-kit.162820/

Lots of past threads on this subject. Here are a few. The

Schmidt SKM-88 Clicker is the best on the market right now and is being used in many of the clicker pens now. Pay attention to that. If the slimlines do not use it forget doing those.

John, thanks for the thread references- that's alway super helpful.

LK&T

The acronym "EDC" is commonly used by knife and gun enthusiasts. Looking at that pen, I think the design is targeted to those tactically minded folks; using "EDC" in the name is totally a marketing thing.

magpens

A wealth of information there, Mal. Thank you. I'll be taking a look at those kits
@LK&T
Chad .... I have tried quite a few of those. . Might be able to comment/recommend if you have any questions before buying.

My favorite amongst kits utilizing the SKM-88-type clickers are the "Luxor" kits which can be ordered from a Canadian supplier here :

I think the Artisan Clickers come with an assembly tool that does the same thing. At least I think it was the Artisan Clicker- it could have been one of the other dozen or so kits I read about yesterday......

Chad .... You are right ... the Artisan Clicker does come with a short metal tube specifically for use as an assembly tool.

The acronym "EDC" is commonly used by knife and gun enthusiasts. Looking at that pen, I think the design is targeted to those tactically minded folks; using "EDC" in the name is totally a marketing thing.

Chad .... Thanks for elucidating the meaning of "EDC" in that way. . I've done head-scratching about its applicability to pens for some time !

chris_11

Figured that the Schmidt SKM-88 is produced in Germany beside other pencil equipment by Schmidt Technology and there are some kits here using it.

br
Christian

darrin1200

EDC is also a term commonly used in the pen collecting community. This is one of those times, that I wish they wouldn't do this. It is taking advantage of the fact that this term is commonly used in pen searches, but it is not the intended answer.

magpens

In my post #9 above, I forgot one pen kit that utilizes a Schmidt click mechanism.

It is the "Everyday Classic" from PSI :

It utilizes the Schmidt SKM-192 clicker, which is totally internal to the pen and is considerably smaller than the SKM-88 clicker.
Both of these Schmidt click mechanisms appear to operate on the same principle. . Both click mechanisms can be bought from US vendors.

Personally, I prefer the SKM-88, partly because it is bigger and has an integral pushbutton which is very attractive.
For the SKM-192, you have to make your own pushbutton.

Re: the "Everyday Classic" pen kit, the subject of this post, it is quite attractive and very reliable. . But it has a hellishly stiff clip ... quite annoying.
Barrel is long at 3.125"and so can feature a very nice blank material, and it is probably best made with straight sides because of its length.
The two bushings are both 0.435" diameter, making the minimal pen rather slim. . The bushings are slightly undersize; better size would be 0.445".
Highly recommended except for the stiff clip.

magpens

@wood4fun

Mal, just a thought the bushings for the luxor are 11.4mm with is 0.448 that would work great for everyday classic

Thanks for pointing that out, Bill. . Both kits use the same 8mm diameter brass tube, so your suggestion is nicely appropriate.

I don't use bushings, but folks that do would be grateful for this advice of yours.

LK&T

In my post #9 above, I forgot one pen kit that utilizes a Schmidt click mechanism.

It is the "Everyday Classic" from PSI :

It utilizes the Schmidt SKM-192 clicker, which is totally internal to the pen and is considerably smaller than the SKM-88 clicker.
Both of these Schmidt click mechanisms appear to operate on the same principle. . Both click mechanisms can be bought from US vendors.

Personally, I prefer the SKM-88, partly because it is bigger and has an integral pushbutton which is very attractive.
For the SKM-192, you have to make your own pushbutton.

Re: the "Everyday Classic" pen kit, the subject of this post, it is quite attractive and very reliable. . But it has a hellishly stiff clip ... quite annoying.
Barrel is long at 3.125"and so can feature a very nice blank material, and it is probably best made with straight sides because of its length.
The two bushings are both 0.435" diameter, making the minimal pen rather slim. . The bushings are slightly undersize; better size would be 0.445".
Highly recommended except for the stiff clip.
I almost got a few of those but didn't because of the kit price. For now, I'm trying to keep the cost down on my material investment. The goal is for pen sales to support the reinvestment of capital to buy new kits. We'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom