See more from wood4fun

wood4fun

long tubed click Groove
gun metal pomelle bubinga
chrome curly maple with xlays
gold Thuya burl with chittum burl
z35.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice work. Distinctive pens - the Thuya burl is my fav. But how do you change the refill? The tip and the cap are pressed into the Groove so (as PSI has it) the refill is changed by unscrewing the two halves (which you have omitted).
You holding back a secret?

magpens

Nice looking pens !!! . I like long "show-off" barrels as well. . But .......

"How do you change the refill? "

And there's another thing .... the Groove uses the spring in a strange position which, to work, relies on the center band .....

You may have just turned down the centerband to the diameter of the brass tubes and then slipped the whole assembly inside the long blank.

Is that what you did ? ..... But there is still the problem of separating top and bottom to replace the refill.

Oh .... I think I get it .... you glued in only one of the brass tubes .... probably the top one .... so that you can still unscrew the two halves.

Hope there are no structural integrity issues with the very thin wood, especially when the halves are separated !!!

Kenny Durrant

Ok Biil since others have asked I'd like to know as well. Not trying to one up you but I've made a couple of these as well. I'm just curious as if there's a better way than the way I did it. Thanks

wood4fun

ok Kenny and Mal
zx5.JPG
zx6.JPG
zx7.JPG
fair enough, i cheated i had extra nib tip from the fancy click pen kits, when i figured out how to make them long tube, it was easier with groove, as far a a spring to get it took work, i got some 4mm tubing and cut them 2 7/8" long put them on the cross point ink with a spring and they work fantastic, if you do this you need a brass tube cutter it cuts and bend in the 4mm tube, otherwise the spring will go inside the 4mm tube

magpens

@wood4fun

Tricky, Bill !!! o_O

I had never known about the Fancy Click Slimline Pen Kit before !!!

For the benefit of others, I am going to post the assembly instructions for that pen kit which will help to clarify your construction :

You have cleverly combined features of the Groove and the Fancy Click Pen to produce your Modified Groove. . Nicely done, Bill !!

Thanks for posting this innovative design !!! :D :D :D

P.S. . I think you should now take this one step further ... replace the Cross refill with a Parker refill. .
This will require a short refill extender because the Parker is a little bit shorter (about 0.7") than the Cross.

Also, the hole for the refill to protrude from the nib will have to be slightly enlarged for the Parker refill.
The Cross refill needs a hole 0.076" diameter (slightly larger actually), whereas the Parker needs a hole 0.096" diam. (just slightly larger).

Another slight adjustment might be needed to accommodate the spring when the Parker refill is used ... not sure about that.

After that, this idea deserves to have a tutorial in the IAP Resources ..... @Wayne

Last edited:
Top Bottom