Clemmer & Sons, Woodsmiths

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbryce

I am Bryce Clemmer. I am a fourth generation woodworker and I have been turning for about 40 years of those I have been turning pens for about 18 years. i turned my first pens for gifts for the men in mine and my wife's wedding. I had a guy about 6 or 7 years ago, he had some azoba lumber I turned between 300 and 400 slimline pens for him over a 2 year period. It burned me out on turning pens. i just recently started doing more medium range pens and I hope to start do high end kits, but when you mess them up. you are out 30 to 50 dollars. I like to find odd woods and glue them up in contrasting simple patterns. For instance, curly walnut with curly maple glued into a wedge.
I live in the foothills of North Carolina and i am an Engineering Tech by trade. My wife and I have 2 border collies and a beagle. I compete in sheep dog trials with my border collies, they are amazing dogs. i hope to hear from other turners soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgscott

Welcome, Bryce! There's a bumper sticker around here that says, "My Border Collie is smarter than your Honor Student!"
Doug

steeler fan1

Welcome Bryce,

From Northern Illinois(Flatlander). You'll find this a good group of pen turners, among other things. Jump in and become familar.

Carl

PenPal

Welcome Bryce.

Look forwardto seeing your work, when I married I had a difficult Choice take my Border Collie Butch with me but the condition was my Mum would become part of the package. Easy choice for my wifes sake the dog lived a long happy life. My memory tells me these dogs are puppioes for a long time but when trained are absolutely fabulous companions.

Regards from Australia. Peter.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Bryce!

"and I hope to start do high end kits, but when you mess them up. you are out 30 to 50 dollars."

And no, you're only out a couple of tubes! :biggrin:

Whaler

Welcome to IAP Bryce. Border Collies working sheep is a sight to see, can't get my Dachshunds to do anything but bark at them.

dbryce

Thanks for all the welcomes. I just glued up a padauk and curly maple gatsby last night. I'm going to see how it turns out in a little while. If it turns out well, I'll post it.
Thanks again!
Bryce

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome, Bryce! As you go up to the higher end pen kits, make sure you buy some extra tubes. I always get extra tubes anyway. If I like the way they turn out, I'm ahead of the game. If not, no loss - just the cost of "the lesson."

I'm putting two links in here for reference - it is a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf
This link tells of some "out of the box" tools/aids for pen turners http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66178

Midi

A hearty welcome from California! Do buy extra tubes. i have made lots of tubes that didn't grow up to become pens. Have fun!

Top Bottom