Clear gorilla glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

In the store looking for a glue to use on Corian. The tube of clear GG said use just like E6000 which I was told does a good job on Corian. Scuffed the Corian with 220 sandpaper, cleaned dust with DNA, let them dry about 1 hr. and glued the pieces. Left them clamped for about 72 hours then tried to turn a section and the seams just fell apart. The glue was still somewhat sticky like it had not dried all the way. What did I do wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

There is another thread running on Gorilla Glue in which I posted a note this morning about the confusion that surrounds 'Gorilla Glue'.

Originally, 'Gorilla Glue' was a specific brand of polyurethane glue. More recently, the brand has expanded to include a wide variety of adhesive products, including even duct tape!

You said that the 'tube of Gorilla Glue' said it could be used 'just like E6000'. E6000 is another instance of a name that originally applied to one product, and that has now been applied to a variety of different products intended for different applications. My experience with E6000 is limited to the contact cement (liquid) version where you apply the adhesive to both surfaces, and allow them to become tacky before pressing them together. But I believe that there are thicker formulations packaged in tubes that work differently.

As far as I can tell from their web site, Gorilla Glue doesn't come in a contact cement version - yet, but at the rate they are proliferating products, that could change at any time. But the process you described sounds like the way that a contact cement would be used.

I'm no expert on Corian, but the information I have found suggests that the preferred adhesive is a two-part product produced by DuPont (who make Corian) specifically for this purpose. However, I have seen some postings in the craft world that talk about using CA glue, or solvent-welding (plexiglass) adhesives on Corian.

So I suspect that the problem is that the adhesive you used wasn't appropriate for the job.

Dieseldoc

Only thing would be was to wet the glue ups end before gluing. any maybe over clamping the corian top and pushing out the glue. I never had a problem gluing in pen with corian blanks.

tomtedesco

Only thing would be was to wet the glue ups end before gluing. any maybe over clamping the corian top and pushing out the glue. I never had a problem gluing in pen with corian blanks.
This clear glue does not require wetting like foaming GG to my knowledge. I was gluing 7 inch disks together to make a hollow form vessel.

monophoto

Actually, the instructions posted on the Gorilla Glue web site do specifically recommend adding moisture when gluing 'non porous' materials such as metals, glass and plastics. The instructions also note that it won't work on polyethylene or polypropylene. However, Corian is a form of acrylic.

1593704303710.png

Polyurethane glues require moisture to cure. On porous materials, there may be enough moisture trapped in the materials, or humidity in the atmosphere, to meet the needs. But not in non-porous materials, and if the material is non-porous, it may not be possible for atmospheric humidity to penetrate in to the glue surface.

magpens

I wish I had used the epoxy, you are correct. Guess I was trying to save a few bucks and lost everything.

I can relate to your desire to try new things .

I get tempted from time to time about trying alternative glues, but then I think again and ask .... "Is it worth it ?"

... and so I "stick with" the tried and proven

I don't remember for sure if I did a glue up on the 2 or 3 corian pens I've turned... that was years back when in Houston and I was doing pens pretty regularly... but my go to glue was definitely CA at the time... I keep a supply of CA, 2 part epoxy and wood glues.... I've tried the Gorilla Glue but find it messy to work with - even more so than the epoxy - so don't keep that around much.

howsitwork

I've had issues with gorilla glue clear with wood, didn't seem to cure totally hard even after a few days so went back to original ( which is a water activated polyurethane) . Not tried gluing corrian though so no experience of it.

Live and learn and thanks for passing the information on so we all learn together.

Top Bottom