clear casting sheen??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarryM

I have been casting stamp blanks for a little while now and have had a great deal of success but have not perfected the results.

here is the question.

Why do I get a sheen on the stamps...looks like air but not bubbles. It's only on some, most turn out fine. All are bubble free

In the process of doing stamp pens I glue the stamps with diluted Elmers, dry overnight. next I spray 5 coats of Mod Podge...letting dry according to directions between each coat. Then leave alone to dry a couple days minimum.
Next comes the 5 coats of thin CA....(without the Mod Podge the CA tends to remove ink from older stamps). Then degas at least 2 days....not in a hurry.
Finally cast the PR using the techniques from some of the experts...warm water bath, pour in the mold, use the dental picks around tube...etc..

I have done with and without pressure and get similar results.

I would appreciate any help....

its_virgil

It is air. Join the club. Happens to the best of us, so I am told.:biggrin:I have stopped using Mod Podge but others us it. Clear acrylic fingernail polish has worked for me to seal the ink on older stamps. I think 5 coats of mod podge is a bit much. Maybe more is better sometimes but I would cut the Mod Podge coats back. I don't think you are doing anything wrong or what yuou experience would happen every time. I will make several snake blanks and all are perfect then the next batch (done te exact same way) will contain some or all that turn out like you explain.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have been casting stamp blanks for a little while now and have had a great deal of success but have not perfected the results.

here is the question.

Why do I get a sheen on the stamps...looks like air but not bubbles. It's only on some, most turn out fine. All are bubble free

In the process of doing stamp pens I glue the stamps with diluted Elmers, dry overnight. next I spray 5 coats of Mod Podge...letting dry according to directions between each coat. Then leave alone to dry a couple days minimum.
Next comes the 5 coats of thin CA....(without the Mod Podge the CA tends to remove ink from older stamps). Then degas at least 2 days....not in a hurry.
Finally cast the PR using the techniques from some of the experts...warm water bath, pour in the mold, use the dental picks around tube...etc..

I have done with and without pressure and get similar results.

I would appreciate any help....

sbell111

You might consider extending your mod podge drying time. I am of the belief that even though it is dry per the package directions, that it might still off gas for a longer period of time. The directions don't consider that you will be casting the item in resin, after all.

Top Bottom