Clear casting pressure question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I use Alumilite Clear Slow, Polyester and Epoxy Resins. My pots are rated for 80 psi and I use 55-60 psi. The only thing that changes is the pot time. Why change anything else. I've read that some use 35 psi that it was all that was needed. I figured if I could use extra pressure why not.

JohnU

I watched a demo once where the guy said to never cast below 80. I cast with mold holding 30 grams to 600 grams and never needed more than 55 lbs of pressure. Some of my pots are rated to 80 but I don't need it.
I usually stay between 50-55. As long as you get your resin under pressure before it thickens you won't have a problem.

Curly

We had our pot set up for 10psi up to 15psi to keep bubbles from forming on tube in casts (Chiyogami paper for example) with polyester resin. One part of the reason was not needing more and the other was some kind of molds will leak around the plugs under higher pressures, filling the tubes.

Joebobber

I ask because while perusing the internet the other night because I couldn't sleep because our furnace went out, I read somewhere that this 1 guy does 90psi for silmar and 45 for alumilite. I was a bit blown away by 90 psi, as I thought most people stayed right around 45-55. Just wondering if it was important to fine tune each resin you use. Isn't 90 a bit high? I mean that's alot of pressure.

jttheclockman

I ask because while perusing the internet the other night because I couldn't sleep because our furnace went out, I read somewhere that this 1 guy does 90psi for silmar and 45 for alumilite. I was a bit blown away by 90 psi, as I thought most people stayed right around 45-55. Just wondering if it was important to fine tune each resin you use. Isn't 90 a bit high? I mean that's alot of pressure.
No need for it at all. I am guessing he has a real good pressure pot because he exceeded the rating of most pots which are 80 lbs.

Top Bottom