clear casting a map or chart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Patty

I've been trying to cast a Sierra pen blank with an embedded nautical chart.
Sure did look good in the book - but this has become the most frustrating thing I have ever tried.

I've tried a couple of different resins ( Liq. Diamond, & Cast & Pour Poly.) , and since I do NOT have a pressure pot, the only resin I have been able to successfully get bubble free is a polyester resin ( Castin' Craft) .

The problem is that my chart, printed on online label's water resistant paper ( suggested here) either lifts at the joint, whether I overlap or not, AND /OR buckles somewhere else on the tube, almost every time.

I've tried multiple pours with varying set times, and seems to make no difference. It's just random results.

I was able to get 1 of the 2 pens poured, & the joint, although not perfect, was hidden by the clip & acceptable.

Does anyone have any magic technique or suggestions getting this done without a pressure pot or changing resins, again.

Any input appreciated,
Patty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Patty

I've always read that with the paper I used, that pre coating wasn't needed.
BUT, I did try it one time, spraying it with clear lacquer, and it didn't make any difference - The joint lifted anyway.
Is there something else that might work to coat it with ?
Very frustrating....

Jans husband

I don't do much casting YET,(intend to do more) but when that happened to me, on the next attempt I rolled the tubes with the label stuck on them a dozen or so times on a fresh sheet of A4 white paper under the palm of my hand using a bit of pressure, and the label stuck to the tube and did not loosen during the casting process.
Worth a try

Good luck

Mike

KenB259

I've been trying to cast a Sierra pen blank with an embedded nautical chart.
Sure did look good in the book - but this has become the most frustrating thing I have ever tried.

I've tried a couple of different resins ( Liq. Diamond, & Cast & Pour Poly.) , and since I do NOT have a pressure pot, the only resin I have been able to successfully get bubble free is a polyester resin ( Castin' Craft) .

The problem is that my chart, printed on online label's water resistant paper ( suggested here) either lifts at the joint, whether I overlap or not, AND /OR buckles somewhere else on the tube, almost every time.

I've tried multiple pours with varying set times, and seems to make no difference. It's just random results.

I was able to get 1 of the 2 pens poured, & the joint, although not perfect, was hidden by the clip & acceptable.

Does anyone have any magic technique or suggestions getting this done without a pressure pot or changing resins, again.

Any input appreciated,
Patty
715DFF2F-6E4B-478E-9EC3-3EA31A7FB2A5.jpeg

I did this one a few weeks ago. Map is cricut vinyl. Casted with Aluminite clear slow. I'm very new to casting but I had no troubles with this one.

Patty

Thanks for the suggestions-
Yup- I rolled the tube, cross my fingers, roll again.
I am using a vinyl label paper- just didn't cut it with my cricut.
I'll look into the UV resin, although I'm seriously thinking wood pens are much nicer to make.
Your double tube chart looks great.
I haven't tried Aluminite slow- but then I thought you likely needed a pressure pot to get bubble free castings with that .
But maybe I'm wrong & just haven't thrown enough money at the problem :-O

Thanks again-
Patty

PS- Thanks Tony I just looked at the UV resin- looks too good to be true- so I'm ordering it . :)
It might be the answer & I'll check back in to let everyone know.

Last edited:

KenB259

Thanks for the suggestions-
Yup- I rolled the tube, cross my fingers, roll again.
I am using a vinyl label paper- just didn't cut it with my cricut.
I'll look into the UV resin, although I'm seriously thinking wood pens are much nicer to make.
Your double tube chart looks great.
I haven't tried Aluminite slow- but then I thought you likely needed a pressure pot to get bubble free castings with that .
But maybe I'm wrong & just haven't thrown enough money at the problem :-O

Thanks again-
Patty
I did put it in a pressure pot, forgot to mention that.

KenB259

That's beautiful! Where did you get the map?
At Hobby Lobby, where they sell Cricut vinyl, I think this is their Paper Studio brand, but don't hold me to that. It said us was removable, which I wasn't sure would stay stuck down, but there were no issues.

Patty

So I gave the UV cuing resin from Berea a try, and found it also has issues.
First off, applying it like the company shows in their video, left visible casting lines.
Second, it doesn't have the clarity that the Polyester resin does.

I cast 2 and turned and polished them, and you can still see lines from each pour I made.
It might work fine for someone doing a colored effect, but as a clear coating it's not good enough for my purposes.
I'm back to try the Polyester, going to try spraying it with clear acrylic and leaving it for a couple of days before casting. We shall see.

MRDucks2

Couple of things not mentioned come to mind. You may want to clean your tubes with alcohol or acetone and let dry thoroughly before applying your label. Film on the tube from manufacture or from your fingers, laying around, etc. may be affecting adhesion.

Also, though you may know this, do not touch any part of the adhesive during application and roll the tube onto the sticker/paper/vinyl to get even application. Trying to stick the image to the tube increases the risk of poor adhesion or trapping air.

Patty

Thanks for the tips- but yes, I've lightly sanded, and then wiped tubes with alcohol .
Maybe the acrylic spray will help. I hope so

Top Bottom