Cleaning of buffing wheels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Like Chris said sand paper works. I have used 80 grit before with no problems. I also have a rake but be careful. They are really aggressive.

TonyL

In addition to the rake and SP, some use a dedicated SP eraser (big rubber rectangular thing) - just not at high RPMs.

I use a piece of 2x4. If you are getting regular build up then you are using too much compound on the wheels. It only takes a little to get the job done.
I use a piece of wood about the thickness of a paint stirrer. Hold it at an downward angle with the wheel spinning. Don't use a lot of force and it will clean off the excess on the wheel. I've never used a rake so I have no idea of how well or how it works.

SteveG

I bought the rake offered by Caswell. It works very well, and quickly. If fact, it is easy to over-do the buff cleaning process with it, so a light touch with a steady hand/grip is what works.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I've always used sandpaper. The rake must work great since it seems to be the recognized method of cleaning the wheels, but I'm wondering about putting a metal object against the wheel. Wouldn't that turn the wheel black like other metal objects tend to do?

SteveG

I've always used sandpaper. The rake must work great since it seems to be the recognized method of cleaning the wheels, but I'm wondering about putting a metal object against the wheel. Wouldn't that turn the wheel black like other metal objects tend to do?
The rake I have just leaves a clean buff. I think the black residue comes from metal wearing from the bushing on to the buff, whereas the rake is doing just the opposite...taking off buff material. Anyhow, it works!

Top Bottom