Cleaning ball caps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I don't know why I pose this question to you lot since most are unlikely to know but maybe your spouse does. 🤗

I have a few baseball caps that I would like to clean but past experience puts tossing them into the washing machine in the wrecks them pile. One in particular I want to keep as it doesn't have a button on top and that lets me wear ear protection without the headband and button denting my noggin. So does anyone know how to wash it without the brim turning to mush?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hand wash. Clean bucket, mild detergent, let soak for 30-45 minutes. Then use a medium bristle brush, and rinse. Possibly repeat as needed. Let air dry; possibly stuff a hand was rag in it to wick some of the water out. Method for HS Baseball Team.

lorbay

Pete my wife washes mine all the time in the washing machine. Some have been washed 5 or 8 times. Never had a brim go limp yet. She does not put them in the dryer though. She stuffs them with tea towels to keep the shape while drying. I always buy the non adjustable type called flex fit here.
Lin

dogcatcher

I hand wash mine in Dawn dish soap, then rinse 2 times, Usually the bad dirt is on the brim and the headband, a little extra scrubbing in that area gets it cleaned up, I hand dry over the sink letting the excess water drip off. I used to work outside, in the heat and dirt, my hats would get filthy, teh Dawn soap always got off the grease from my head and hands.

papaturner

I use the washing machine without any problems. Then as soon as the wash is finished I use a child`s ball the size that properly fits the cap placed in the cap until dry.

Curly

Thanks for the replies. I knew about the dishwasher 🤮 but not the hat frames. The time I tried the washing machine it must have been a cheap hat because it was not even close to the same after. After cutting the grass with the rideon mower I will try hand washing .

Charlie_W

Pete,
Wifey cringed when I told her that some use the dishwasher 😫

My method. Likewise, sweaty, dirty stinky caps.
I first wet the cap, brush in some Shout or Zout, or Dawn on the sweat stained areas. Then soak for a day or two in the laundry sink with hot water, a little OxyClean and little Dawn dish detergent. I swish them around a couple times.
I rinse by hand and throw them in the washer on a warm regular cycle.
To dry, I sometimes place them on the floor heat vents (winter) or other times, stuff with towels and place on the dashboard of my work van(summer). After a couple hours, I take the towels out and let them finish drying,
I do have one of those plastic cap frames but don't use it anymore.
My brims do not wilt during the wash....must be plastic.

Clean ball caps are happy caps.......and you smell better too😂

Curly

Well the dirty deed is done. It isn't perfect but the gunge of years of wearing it are gone. I used Dawn and one of the plastic nail brushes Lee Valley sell in the laundry sink and a balled up towel standing in for my head. I wish this style of hat was more popular because there is no button but they are hard to find. Hey Jeff how about some IAP ones? I'll buy a half dozen!

Thanks folks!
B4C5B711-FD70-4643-9D2E-1A32C081CC1E.jpeg

KenB259

Well the dirty deed is done. It isn't perfect but the gunge of years of wearing it are gone. I used Dawn and one of the plastic nail brushes Lee Valley sell in the laundry sink and a balled up towel standing in for my head. I wish this style of hat was more popular because there is no button but they are hard to find. Hey Jeff how about some IAP ones? I'll buy a half dozen!

Thanks folks!View attachment 308358
Do a search for button-less pilot caps. You'll find some :)

sbwertz

Pete,
Wifey cringed when I told her that some use the dishwasher 😫

My method. Likewise, sweaty, dirty stinky caps.
I first wet the cap, brush in some Shout or Zout, or Dawn on the sweat stained areas. Then soak for a day or two in the laundry sink with hot water, a little OxyClean and little Dawn dish detergent. I swish them around a couple times.
I rinse by hand and throw them in the washer on a warm regular cycle.
To dry, I sometimes place them on the floor heat vents (winter) or other times, stuff with towels and place on the dashboard of my work van(summer). After a couple hours, I take the towels out and let them finish drying,
I do have one of those plastic cap frames but don't use it anymore.
My brims do not wilt during the wash....must be plastic.

Clean ball caps are happy caps.......and you smell better too😂
You can also dry them overnight on the floor in front of the refrigerator. There is always warm air blowing out the front...Also a good place to dry wet shoes.

I rarely wear a ball cap, usually only when doing yard work.... I also don't was my ball caps.... up until I decided to clean out the closet, I had about 50 gimme hats from various shipping lines, truckers, suppliers, etc.... just threw an old dirty one away and pulled down a new one

Top Bottom