Classy in black

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

This was a commissioned pen I finished for an engineer. He wanted a plain black pen, made from a fancy industrial plastic, with a transparent ink window and stainless hardware. We went with black Ultem, as it works quite nicely. The ink window is standard issue cast acrylic rod, and the hardware is 304 stainless steel, with the clip cut from sheet stock with a jewelers saw, and the cap and section bands turned from rod stock. This was a reasonably straightforward pen to make, but sometimes nice and easy does it! It uses a jowo 6 nib and can be filled via converter or by putting ink directly in the barrel.
C4BF0926-E898-45FE-BD71-8C94E166612D.jpeg
8F0E5185-6CB9-4EFF-918B-6706ECD3FEF5.jpeg
F0A1E85D-5233-4E89-8DF3-3702CBB46BAD.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

John, you have an eye for what works in pen design, and the ability to execute. Great job again. Always look forward to viewing your work.

Pierre---

You work full time in the workshop I'd bet... :) Great pen John.
Why did you choose the 304? Did you heat treat for spring, bend it while cold?

jalbert

You work full time in the workshop I'd bet... :) Great pen John.
Why did you choose the 304? Did you heat treat for spring, bend it while cold?
No, I have a day job. this is a weekend thing.
I don't remember why I chose 304. Something about it being easier to machine maybe? Or could have been it was the first thing that popped up on eBay. I did not heat this clip for bending. Since it is pierced, the two "arms" bent pretty easily (clamped the ring portion in a vice and used a piece of bar stock to apply consistent pressure to the clip body). If it were not pierced, I may have needed heat to assist in bending.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Splendid finished pen, and thanks for the 'details'... Quite adequate for appreciating and admiring your hard earned skills. ;) ;)

Very nice!

Top Bottom