Classic Nib Wood ID Contest Day 23.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

well, I have a long list; there is always tomorrow.
congrats James.

Thanks Mark ....... The photo is from a piece of spalted mango I made a few items out of so it helped having worked with it and knowing a bit about grain patterns. This is from a clay paddle I made for myself when hand building. Just has a walnut oil finish.

Thanks Roy for donating the special prizes for this contest.

Attachments

• Mango closeup.jpg
    Mango closeup.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 181

Coysquibbly

This is a pretty funny contest and for that reason I am going to offer up random blank selections to those that have made me laugh throughout this contest.

1st prize goes to......markgum for his enthusiasm his sense of humour and of course his many posts in this thread.

2nd prize goes to fitty. His many posts and of course the sense of humour.

3rd place goes to penguin. Mostly for his input and participation. The sense of humour is also a major contributing factor.

I have available 3 Northern US (Canada) flat rate envelopes of blanks and of course the shipping to Southern Canada (USA) These envelopes should be able to hold at least 6-8 blanks and I will include at least 1 Tru-Stone, at least 1 or 2 acrylic and a few decent wood blanks.

All you need to do is send me a complete list of all your banking information and computer passwords:biggrin::biggrin:... Just kidding a mailing address will suffice (PM me) and I will get these in the mail in the next week.

Kindest Regards,

Kevin

Last edited:

fitty

Kevin, wow, I was aiming for first place :(

Kidding aside, fantastic offer. IAP membership at its best! But, I will only accept your offer if you allow me to send a box in return.

Mark

Hills Weeping Fig

Joe S.

Sorta wish I was cracking jokes here now! Never thought you could have somebody chuck a bunch of blanks at you for being funny!

Bob Wemm

Kevin, thank you so much for doing that.

I have been thinking along similar lines but have not made any decisions yet about who or what.

Will see what happens tomorrow and next day. Looking forward to the last two days.

Cheers
Bob.

OKLAHOMAN

With only two days left I need to thank all the participants, winners and Bob. This has been the best run contest with the most participation and the most fun. It has been a blast being the sponsor of this contest and hope that next year I can sponsor the same contest with a prize of equal or better and that we can talk Bob into running it again.

alankulwicki7

With only two days left I need to thank all the participants, winners and Bob. This has been the best run contest with the most participation and the most fun. It has been a blast being the sponsor of this contest and hope that next year I can sponsor the same contest with a prize of equal or better and that we can talk Bob into running it again.

I will have to agree with you. Lots of fun and thanks to both Bob and Roy...

jjjaworski

James,

That is a beautiful piece of wood, I hope my slabs work up as good as your paddle.

Do you still play with clay?? I Do.

Bob.

Bob,

Yep, I still play with clay:)

Jim

Attachments

• clay critters trio.jpg
    clay critters trio.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 194
  • assignment2-2.jpg
    assignment2-2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 208
  • heehaw3.jpg
    heehaw3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Cone 6 Speckled buff.jpg
    Cone 6 Speckled buff.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Raku Masks.jpg
    Raku Masks.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 192

markgum

Hey Kevin;
WOW. THANK YOU. This is one contest, where I always learn a lot. Still no good at identification of wood. :confused:

Things like this is what makes IAP work.

Last edited:

The Penguin

This is a pretty funny contest and for that reason I am going to offer up random blank selections to those that have made me laugh throughout this contest.

1st prize goes to......markgum for his enthusiasm his sense of humour and of course his many posts in this thread.

3rd place goes to penguin. Mostly for his input and participation. The sense of humour is also a major contributing factor.

I have available 3 Northern US (Canada) flat rate envelopes of blanks and of course the shipping to Southern Canada (USA) These envelopes should be able to hold at least 6-8 blanks and I will include at least 1 Tru-Stone, at least 1 or 2 acrylic and a few decent wood blanks.

All you need to do is send me a complete list of all your banking information and computer passwords:biggrin::biggrin:... Just kidding a mailing address will suffice (PM me) and I will get these in the mail in the next week.

Kindest Regards,

Kevin

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington DC

Kevin, wow, I was aiming for first place :(

Kidding aside, fantastic offer. IAP membership at its best! But, I will only accept your offer if you allow me to send a box in return.

Mark

Hills Weeping Fig
hey...you stay outta my tree!

markgum

Thanks for the prize

Kindest Regards,

Kevin

Today the post delivered a stuffed padded envelope with some nice labeled blanks. THANK YOU KEVIN!!!! Glad they were labeled so I can practice my wood ID and get ready for next year's bash. :biggrin: :biggrin:
I have always wanted to try a turquoise Tru-stone.

Coysquibbly

Mark,

I am glad you like the package. Most of the wood came from very moist climates, and I am in Calgary, a very dry climate. I have had these climatizing for about 8 months. the laminated product I have had for only a month. Use you best judgement. I am thinking your climate is similar to ours, just east of the mountains and dry, if I am not mistaken. Truestone and acrylic should be ready to go. Would love to see a pen you make from these.
The woods that I sent have all been very good to work with and finish up very well. I believe most of them came from the Carribean.

Kindest Regards,

Thanks for making the bash so enjoyable,

Kevin

Top Bottom