Claro Walnut Cigar Finished

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings all:

I finally finished the pen I mentioned in my earlier thread about having spare tubes on hand. It is a Brass Cigar kit from Exotic Blanks and a Claro Walnut blank that was cut from a block I got at WoodCraft. I think the combination gives it a very rustic look.

I overturned the first set of blanks, but this set on the spare tubes turned OK. In addition I really struggled with getting the finish on this one. I had to repair and re-finish the blanks before I was done. The CA "lifted" on the ends of the blanks leaving that dreaded grey-ish appearance near the ends after wet sanding with MicroMesh even though I used a blotter of thin CA to seal the ends up before MicroMesh. I haven't had this kind of thing happen for several years, ever since I started making sure the ends were sealed up before wet sanding. Anyhow, here are a few pictures of the completed pen.

Regards,
Dave

PS I always use Ed's Improved Fit Bushing Set (11A) when I turn Cigar Pens. They make a much nicer fit between the center band and the lower blank than the standard Berea Cigar bushings.

IMG_3582 Cropped.jpg

IMG_3578 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3579 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3580 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Beautiful pen Dave. How many coats of CA did you apply? I find with Walnut I have to put more on than others to close the pores so they don't get dust in them.
My standard regimen is 4 thin coats of Thin CA (but sometimes I use 6 if the wood seems to really soak it up on the first couple). I have a 90 second timer that I use to let each coat dry before applying the next. Then I use 8 to 10 coats of Medium using a light burst of an aerosol Activator between coats. I let the final coat dry several minutes before moving on.

My coats of CA tend to be very thin - more CA goes into the trash on my paper towel applicator than goes onto the pen in each pass.

I will also have to try additional coats next time, paying special attention to getting the ends sealed up good.

Dave

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My standard regimen is 4 thin coats of Thin CA (but sometimes I use 6 if the wood seems to really soak it up on the first couple). I have a 90 second timer that I use to let each coat dry before applying the next. Then I use 8 to 10 coats of Medium using a light burst of an aerosol Activator between coats. I let the final coat dry several minutes before moving on.

My coats of CA tend to be very thin - more CA goes into the trash on my paper towel applicator than goes onto the pen in each pass.

I will also have to try additional coats next time, paying special attention to getting the ends sealed up good.

Dave
your process makes sense. thanks for sharing.

bugradx2

really great work!

I agree that the cigar bushings from Exotic Blanks make for a much nicer fit on cigar pens too. That's what I use on mine.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the look of walnut - when I was in high school I got a walnut Cross pen which started my love affair with wood pens. Yours looks great!
That's what hooked me also! I'd estimate 1985-6. I lost the pen, but I really loved it. When I found out I could make another... the journey started.

Top Bottom