City provided piece of Hard Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

The city began removing a dying maple that was also rubbing a street light wire across the street from me this week. By yesterday they were getting closer to the trunk of the tree and by the afternoon the color started to show. I stepped over a mentioned I may want to talk them out of a piece when they got to the main trunk and they were game. about an hour before quitting time I stepped back out and was asked what piece I wanted. Eyeballing what was in the truck and where they had cut to, the size and expected weight as well as color spread while hoping to avoid any metal I made a choice. Asked for a 8-10 feet up on the main trunk below where they cut a couple of limbs and above a lateral crease in the bark, thinking it would be around 2 feet across.

Just before 9am there was knock on the door and I walked over to the log-jaw equipped grade-all with a 6 foot piece of log, branch stubs on one end and bark crease on the other. I took a look, and asked for the half I liked the best. They cut it into and deliveredit to the shady side of the shop.

I believe I can get a couple of decent blanks out of this one (OK, bowl blanks then handles, then pen blanks, then scales). Need to sharpen the chainsaw and get it split and sized. Sealed the ends for now as I get things ready. What are your thoughts?

IMG_5564.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

IMG_5560.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5565.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

craig

I was talking to my sister in Nebraska yesterday when when I came out of a fog. Her husband has owned a tree serv. for 40 years. They drive to Florida every year. Next time it will be with lots of oak, maple and other logs in the truck bed.😁😄☺️

Top Bottom