Circuit board blank failures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I had been buying Sienna circuit board blanks from EB with no problems. They must have changed their supplier as the last batch 4 I received all failed, 3 chipped out while turning and the last one (shown here) split while sitting in its case.I noticed the split as I was getting ready to ship to a customer. They have ignored my last two emails so I guess I won't be getting any more M&Ms
IMG_2711.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

They have a phone number. Give them a call. You can also leave a message on their vendor site here but you can try.

Last edited:
Called and sent 3emails. The blanks I received were not what was shown on their website.The only response I got they would not accept returns after they were machined.I don't know how you can detect a bad blank unless you turn it. I turn between centers and use a fresh carbide edge whenever I turn plastic and never had a problem.

jttheclockman

Called and sent 3emails. The blanks I received were not what was shown on their website.The only response I got they would not accept returns after they were machined.I don't know how you can detect a bad blank unless you turn it. I turn between centers and use a fresh carbide edge whenever I turn plastic and never had a problem.
Well that is poor customer service. Have no idea where these vendors get their stock from. Good luck. Maybe try another vendor.

pshrynk

That sucks, man. I love making the Steam Punk kit with a circuit board, but can't find the ones I like. I prefer a green board. If EB has the ones you want in the size you want, going elsewhere might be a problem. Please post here where you find them, if you do.

mg_dreyer

Just out of curiosity - have you modified your bushings to do this or made your own? A Sierra is 27/64 (.421") while the stock bushing for the steam punk pen kit calls for a 3/8" (.375") drill.

JohnU

As a pen turner I have found all of those commercially made circuit board blanks to be challenging to turn. They are cast in poly-resin and are either mixed pretty hot or stored afterwards in a hot climate because they can be very chippy and do not turn as easily as other resin casts. That wouldn't make them a bad blank- just challenging to turn, like inlace acrylester. I only reference that because I know when I turn it I have to approach it differently than other casts. I know there are several materials out there I stay clear of because they present challenges in turning that I don't appreciate, but I know others who successfully turn them. I've damaged blanks while turning, sanding, assembling, and any other way possible. I continue to learn by adjusting my techniques so not to repeat these disasters. Most of them were my fault.

On the other side...and this is just another way to think about it... as a blank maker, I have had people come back and say the blank I made was a defect - after they turned it. The problem is, I don't know their turning abilities, experience or approach on turning the blanks, so it's hard to say if it's the blanks fault or the turners fault. I just know I wouldn't be in business long if I accepted the blame every time someone complained, after they turned the blank. Most sellers don't have a problem with returns as long as they receive a product they can recover their expense from, but if it's already turned, how do you prove what caused the problem. At least prior to turning would show any visible defects. After turned... it's anybody's guess. I wish you luck. Those blanks can be challenging.

KenB259

On the other side...and this is just another way to think about it... as a blank maker, I have had people come back and say the blank I made was a defect - after they turned it. The problem is, I don't know their turning abilities, experience or approach on turning the blanks, so it's hard to say if it's the blanks fault or the turners fault.
This is the very reason I haven't pursued selling any segmented blanks.

Top Bottom