Cinnamon Sticks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

I recently obtained a unique pen blank from Phil Weiss (pkweiss) here on IAP. It was a medium yellow with cinnamon sticks cast into the aluminite. I was also concerned about the cinnamon sticks breaking up. I painted the tube black to darken the yellow and turned it today.

First, the blank was a pure joy to turn. As I drilled it all you could smell was the cinnamon. Made me want to keep drilling it. The blank turned well and the cinnamon sticks in the blank turned just like acrylic. I only found one tiny pinhole in the cinnamon as I neared finished diameter. A drop of CA fixed the problem. While turning the blank, again, there was this wonderful aroma of cinnamon. The blank was paired with a nouveau sceptre in chrome and gold plate. Thanks, Phil!

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Cinnamon stick.jpg
    Cinnamon stick.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 411
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Beautiful Pen, John.
Great Cinnamon Cast Blank, by Phil.
Love that it was Cast with the Cinnamon Stick skewed across the Blank.
Excellent Choice of the Nouveau Sceptre Hardware.
Superb Turning, Fit and Finish.
Congratulations, my Friend.
Brian.

Rachgard

Super cool pen! I wondered how those would turn. You did a really nice job on it, I really like the overall look of the pen. I wonder if it will leave your hands smelling like cinnamon as you use it, that would make for some interesting christmas pens if it did. Your photos are amazing! What type of setup/camera/background are you using? I love the mirror as I can see all of the pen! Such a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

elkhorn

Mike, thank you!

Rod, I appreciate the kind words.

Mal, thanks! It is a very unique blank!

Brian, my friend. Thank you as always for your support.

Rachel, thank you! If you hold the pen for awhile, it does leave a scent of cinnamon. My photo setup is pretty simple. I use a light box (nylon), a mirror from Home Depot, a gray to black graduated vinyl background, and my iPhone 6S. I have a good DSLR, but my iPhone is always with me, so I just use that.

Marko50

Great job John! ... I wonder what would happen if I cast some weed in Alumilite? Would it put off the distinct "pot aroma?". In this state, I would for sure get busted, but hey, it's a thought!

elkhorn

Thanks, Mark. Very much appreciated coming from you. Weed? As long as you don't inhale, I guess.

Top Bottom