Cindy, You OK up there?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

The Quake was East of SF in the Napa/Vallejo area lot of spilled wine, 6.1 magnitude. Lot of Damage. If it would have been in SF it would have been worse. Didn't feel it here is Sacramento 50-60 miles away. Could affect the Indy Car Race this afternoon depending on highway and bridge damage. Six Flaggs Discovery park is near the epicenter. California, Shakes and Bakes. Cindy might have felt it depends on the type of soil/ground she is on.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm in the eastern part of SF Bay Area, about 30 miles south and east of Cindy, who is in SF proper. We felt the quake enough to wake up but there was no damage. Even in napa, closest city to the epicenter, there was relatively little damage. I've only heard of one "historic" building (aka un-upgraded) that had severe damage.

Around here the "dang gummed" gov't is mandating building codes and building retrofits to survive an 8.5. 2.5 times as powerful as what we had.

tbroye

I wasn't as bad as it could have been a lot of older building have been up graded, old home and building did suffer structural damage. I think loss of inventory is going to be a big thing. This wine country lot of barrels dumped off the storage racks and bottles off of shelves, not to mention Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar. On Aquarium shop lost 150 aquariums with fish in them only 3 left standing was the report I hear. Not to dismiss the seriousness of the the Quake, my Brother in Law and I were ready with our Pickup Beds full of Lowes and Home Depot buckets to go over and help with the wine clean up. I guess some of the Indy Car guys gotten shaken up as they we staying over in the Napa area. Bet Mario Andretti got bounced as he has an apartment above the tasting room at his Winery. Glad there were not more injuries than there were. In a more populated area it would have been a lot worse.

sbwertz

When the big one hit up there 25 years ago, my brother had a glass shop in Watsonville. He lost his whole inventory of plate glass. But he was busy for the next year doing repairs in the area.

nava1uni

Sharon,
We did really feel it. Our house shook and shook, but unlike 1989 we sustained no damage. After the 89 quake I bolted the house to the foundation and sheer walled it. I had a structural engineer inspect it after I finished he work and it qualified for earthquake insurance. He told me that I did real good work and that it would weather another earthquake and it certainly did. Not even a crack in any of the walls.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Sharon,
We did really feel it. Our house shook and shook, but unlike 1989 we sustained no damage. After the 89 quake I bolted the house to the foundation and sheer walled it. I had a structural engineer inspect it after I finished he work and it qualified for earthquake insurance. He told me that I did real good work and that it would weather another earthquake and it certainly did. Not even a crack in any of the walls.
Good move Cindy. I'm glad to hear you're ok.

Top Bottom