Cigar twist mechanism issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cl1237

I turned a group of Dayacom cigars for an order today and ran into a problem with one of them being very stiff and difficult to twist. I replaced the transmission and the clip/coupler assembly but the problem persists. The pen operates fine without the top barrel installed.

If my understanding of the kit is correct, the transmission sits inside the clip assembly so it wouldn't be an issue with the upper brass tube. Could it be an issue with the plating being too thick on the center coupler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Consider the possibility of glue in your cap.
Try "roughing it up" with a small file or penknife--CA is clear when it dries,
so you can't see it unless you "scuff" it.

jttheclockman

Yes that could be possible. Or you can have a burr on the end or as Ed said CA in the tube end. Deburr, clean inside tube and maybe file inside tube to open the end a little.

zorro9

Hello, running into a problem assembling this cigar kit as the top does not mate with the center band and leaves a 1/4" gap .
Appears the transmission and the clip asy. are too long or?. Does anyone know what the dimensions are for the clip and transmission? The kit may have the wrong combo.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bear in mind these kits are made by the thousands--what are the chances you have the only one that was wrong?
Most of the time, the problem is operator error. Determine what is different from the last one you assembled.

jttheclockman

Hello, running into a problem assembling this cigar kit as the top does not mate with the center band and leaves a 1/4" gap .
Appears the transmission and the clip asy. are too long or?. Does anyone know what the dimensions are for the clip and transmission? The kit may have the wrong combo.
There are many kits out there that are tube length sensitive. Not sure why makers can not work around this but that is a conversation for another day. Could it be you trimmed too much off when squaring the blank?

egnald

Here are some measured dimensions for a cigar kit from my notes, from a pen in my finished pens and from an unused kit. I hope it helps you figure out what is going on. At first I thought it could have had something to do with accidentally swapping the tubes since they are just about 1/4-inch different in lengths, but if that were the case, I don't think the ink would fit in the shorter, lower half, and it would have made the upper half even longer (more room to accommodate the transmission).

Upper Blank/Tube = 1.91"
Exposed Center Band (not counting what gets pressed into the tube): 0.22"
Exposed Center Band + Upper Blank/Tube: 2.13" (1.91" + 0.22")
Exposed Cap/Clip 0.33
OAL Upper Center Band + Blank/Tube + Exposed Clip/Cap: 2.46"
(1.91" + 0.22" + 0.33") = 2.46"

Transmission: 1.51"
Transmission screwed in (transmission to the wide ring on the coupler): 1.63"

According to the numbers, there should be ample room inside the upper half to accommodate the transmission plus the bit of the coupler that goes inside. 2.13" - 1.63" = 0.5" excess space.

Regards,
Dave

Click on Thumbnail to Zoom In
IMG_3770 Cigar Drawing.jpg

zorro9

Thank you all for your suggestions, pretty sure it's a combination of wrong transmission and missing the gold band.
I'm waiting to hear back from my associate,
Dave I really appreciate the diagram and dims.
Regards
Peter

Top Bottom