Cigar Pen #2 - Happy Day!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephanie

I bought the disassemble kit to obviously be able to take messed up pens apart. Best purchase ever! The Cigar pen from Woodcraft..the directions...like you all said...the worst. But I figured it out this time and this is what I made. I even bought the little stand so I look all fancy like you guys. Thanks for everyone's help on the first Cigar pen that was a disaster.

Attachments

• 4319EA00-29EC-41B8-B0C3-5ED511904674.jpeg
    4319EA00-29EC-41B8-B0C3-5ED511904674.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 3219F443-B789-4CAB-B783-A6DE76708962.jpeg
    3219F443-B789-4CAB-B783-A6DE76708962.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 203
  • FC0B25FD-119E-45F8-BB82-666F1EE55770.jpeg
    FC0B25FD-119E-45F8-BB82-666F1EE55770.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jans husband

I generally look for more than one set of instructions for pen kits. For instance, for the Cigar pen, I have instructions from Turners Retreat and also from Craft Supplies USA, which helpfully shows the layout of the bushes on the mandrel with their relative sizes.
You can't go wrong????!!!!!!! Hmmm.
Mike

Stephanie

I generally look for more than one set of instructions for pen kits. For instance, for the Cigar pen, I have instructions from Turners Retreat and also from Craft Supplies USA, which helpfully shows the layout of the bushes on the mandrel with their relative sizes.
Mike
Good idea, especially when some are very confusing. I have not heard of Craft Supplies. I will have to check them out. Thanks for the advice. šŸ˜

magpens

Mike

Problem Issue #1

When I go to the instructions for the Cigar kit which are posted on Turners Retreat, those instructions are actually the Berea instructions.

As far as I know, this is the "horse's mouth" because Berea was the originator of the Berea Cigar pen kit ... of course, a noob might not know that.

Berea instructions are always excessively wordy .... no one wants to read through tons of words to get to the point you need to know.

Problem Issue #2

The website for Craft Supplies USA is .... woodturnerscatalog.com .... a name which is nothing like you would expect .
And when you get there, the path to the actual instructions is not that clear ... do you look for Apprentice Cigar, or Artisan Cigar and you have to know that the instruction document is a .pdf file .... would a noob know those things ?

But the instructions there are very concise and precise, and there is a good diagram showing the arrangement of the 4 different bushings.

Issue #3

When a noob buys a Cigar kit from Rockler, they would naturally expect to get instructions from Rockler. . But Rockler instructions are notoriously bad and published in two parts ... the general blurb, and then the kit-specific blurb ... and they are the absolute worst instructions of all available.

So, the noobie is kinda set up for a very tough experience. . As I see it, the noobie is virtually set up for failure ... espec. for the very tricky Cigar kit.

The best course of action is to rely on personal advice from experienced turners ...... but how would a newbie/noobie know that ???

It's a TOUGHIE !!

Last edited:

Jans husband

Problem Issue #1

When I go to the instructions for the Cigar kit which are posted on Turners Retreat, those instructions are actually the Berea instructions.

As far as I know, this is the "horse's mouth" because Berea was the originator of the Berea Cigar pen kit ... of course, a noob might not know that.

Berea instructions are always excessively wordy .... no one wants to read through tons of words to get to the point you need to know.

Problem Issue #2

The website for Craft Supplies USA is .... woodturnerscatalog.com .... a name which is nothing like you would expect .
And when you get there, the path to the actual instructions is not that clear ... do you look for Apprentice Cigar, or Artisan Cigar and you have to know that the instruction document is a .pdf file .... would a noob know those things ?

But the instructions there are very concise and precise, and there is a good diagram showing the arrangement of the 4 different bushings.

Issue #3

When a noob buys a Cigar kit from Rockler, they would naturally expect to get instructions from Rockler. . But Rockler instructions are notoriously bad and published in two parts ... the general blurb, and then the kit-specific blurb ... and they are the absolute worst instructions of all available.

So, the noobie is kinda set up for a very tough experience. . As I see it, the noobie is virtually set up for failure ... espec. for the very tricky Cigar kit.

The best course of action is to rely on personal advice from experienced turners ...... but how would a newbie/noobie know that ???

It's a TOUGHIE !!
Very full reply Mal, but I found the Berea instructions easier to follow when I started out, because they go through every stage of making the pen, and point out possible points of failure if the procedure is not correctly followed. Beaufort Ink instructions in contrast set out specifically that the instructions assume a certain level of ability and understanding of the pen turning process, rather than spelling everything out in detail. Thats why I look for as many instruction sheets as possible when I haven't turned that particular pen before, because you can't have too much info! I also make my own notes on the sheets as I go along especially if I go down the wrong path to avoid that when I next visit that pen.

Mike

magpens

@Jans husband

Mike, you have a very good approach, and I do much the same as you.

My only reason(s) for mentioning that Turners Retreat instruc. are actually the Berea instructions is because, in general, I like the Berea ones ( except they do not include enough actual size info. ) and also because I believe ( but could be wrong ) that the Berea company introduced the Cigar pen kit and are the "authoritative" souce of info about that pen kit. . Berea instructions tend to be thorough and reliable (exceptions noted) but they do err on the side of wordiness. . The wordiness, in this modern era of HASTE, is often a put-off. . I find that most pen-makers want instructions which cover the essential points, cut to the chase, and allow for intelligent "filling in of the blanks".

Newbies, however, do need more than the bare minimum. . In particular, details of bushing sizes and placement are extremely important.
Understandably, though, newbies are inclined to think that the vendor of the pen kit is the be-all and end-all for info about that kit.

Notably in the case of the Cigar, referring to more than one set of instructions is a VERY good strategy, but a strategy that most newbies have not yet acquired. So your recommending this strategy is an approach that should be stressed and heeded.

Last edited:

Stephanie

Very full reply Mal, but I found the Berea instructions easier to follow when I started out, because they go through every stage of making the pen, and point out possible points of failure if the procedure is not correctly followed. Beaufort Ink instructions in contrast set out specifically that the instructions assume a certain level of ability and understanding of the pen turning process, rather than spelling everything out in detail. Thats why I look for as many instruction sheets as possible when I haven't turned that particular pen before, because you can't have too much info! I also make my own notes on the sheets as I go along especially if I go down the wrong path to avoid that when I next visit that pen.

Mike
Mike, someone suggested a notebook to keep instructions organized in. That is right up my alley for OCD organization. My opinion being new to this is...so what if I muck one or two or three up. All part of learning. It will be one of many. I don't mind failing and then using that to figure out what went wrong and trying again. One reason I have bought multiple sets of lots of different pen styles to learn, especially when they are on sale. There are also so many helpful people here. Appreciate your info regarding a great place to go for instructions. šŸ˜

Top Bottom