Cigar in Red River Gum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larryreitz

Larryreitz

Last year I bought a box of 50 Australian burl blanks from West Pen Hardwoods. All in all a good purchase. Five of them were labeled Red River Gum and I had not used any of them until yesterday. The blank had some subtle figure and what I think is a nice color. A quick search of Red River Gum didn't get any results. Possibly it may be listed under a different name. Anyhow, I used a blank for a Cigar pen and am not unhappy with the outcome. I was just wondering what others might think and if they have ever seen a pen with this timber posted. A couple of pics are below. _MG_9760.jpg_MG_9761.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

You did a nice job on the pens! I have some red river gum And have only turned two pens with it. My niece lived in Australia and sent me a branch from her tree that she said was red river gum. I made the two pens for her. I don't hear much about the wood but I think it has some cool character, turns and finishes well.

CjG78

Eucalyptus camaldulensis.
Beautiful pen mate. River red gums grow in inland river systems throughout Australia. Lovely to work with

sorcerertd

I bought the same box from WPH a couple months ago. Have not used the Red River Gum just yet, but was just looking at it yesterday considering the possibilities. Good to see what it looks like on a pen.

Larryreitz

Eucalyptus camaldulensis.
Beautiful pen mate. River red gums grow in inland river systems throughout Australia. Lovely to work with
A big Thank you for the info. Now if customers at A@C shows ask I can give them a legitimate answer. I agree it was very nice work with and if viewers enlarge the pics they can see some attractive, albeit subtle, grain.

Top Bottom