Cigar Box Guitars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rink

Rink

I found few old posts, but didn't see anything recent. Any of y'all making cigar box guitars these days?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

At my last show there was a guy next to me selling them. He had about 20 on hand when he started and sold about 4 or 5 of them. They sounded pretty cool....

Dave S

I made one a few years ago, my daughter needed to make something that would play any kind of music. The teachers suggestions was thing's like a oat mill box drum. Well I was wanting to build a cigar box guitar for a long time, just needed a reason (can't play at all, but was intrigued by the instrument ever since I heard a guy play one at a get together. I couldn't believe the music that came from that cobbled up guitar. So off to t he shop we went, got some plans and some parts on line and made a fine one, like I said I can't play at all but a friend of mine plays the guitar and banjo after he got done tuning it he played the best blues you ever heard. He used a metal tube on the neck to change his notes. Well I made her do most of the work, and when she took it to school with the story about how it came to be (hobos in the depression would make them and play for a meal or a place to sleep. I don't know if it's true, but it sounds good). I guess it was the talk of the school, ended up in the school newspaper and all. To this day she treasures it as much as anything she has. Will build another one some day and learn to play.
Dave

dogcatcher

It has been quite a few years, I made one for the "budding musicians" in the neighborhood to play with. Now I have another couple in the planning stages, rounding up parts etc., so the grandchildren can each have one.

I've not seen the cigar box guitars, but at my last show we had a fellow selling "canjo".. one or two string banjos using spam can and miller lite cans.

Guess we have a good idea of his diet? :biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom